13-year-old assaulted by father and son duo
A MIDDLE-AGED man teamed up with his adult son, to assault a 13-year-old boy.
At Ipswich District Court, the father and son each pleaded guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm. The men cannot be named to protect the boy's identity.
Judge Deborah Richards said the young victim was the step-son of the 46-year-old father.
The assault took place at a house in Brassall during a birthday celebration on August 29, 2014.
The father had tried to discipline his step-son for misbehaving but when the boy realised the man was going to hit him, he ran and hid in the backyard.
The father ordered his 21-year-old son to help catch the boy.
Judge Richards said the adult son roughly grabbed the teenager which caused swelling and a small cut to the boy's arm.
As the boy screamed and struggled to get free, the father forcibly put him on a chair and hit him on the buttocks.
The father then flung the boy onto the ground, held him by the neck and struck him to the left side of the face.
The boy fled the house and sought refuge at the neighbour's property.
Judge Richards said there was no doubt the boy would have been terrified by the men's actions.
"This was thuggish, brutish behaviour on your part and was completely unnecessary," she told the father.
She said the boy had not returned to the house since the incident, which consequently meant he no longer had contact with his mother - the dad's partner.
Crown prosecutor Elizabeth Kelso said the injuries suffered by the victim fell in the lower end of the range of bodily harm.
"The physical harm isn't so much the impact," she said.
"The significant impact comes from the estrangement and the disruption to the boys' life which resulted from this offending; given the fact he no longer lives within this family unit."
Ms Kelso said the father had no prior criminal convictions but his co-offender son had been on bail for another offence of violence when the assault took place.
The son's barrister Scott Neaves said his client had been diagnosed with "extreme levels of social detachment and lack of assertiveness".
Mr Neaves said his client was a person who had relied heavily on the guidance of his father.
"With that background, it's not surprising that my client has grabbed this child in the way he did," Mr Neaves said.
"He would have instinctively become involved in this offending more than a person without that kind of background would have done."
Defence barrister Geoff Seaholme, who represented the father said his client has drank six rums prior to the assault.
"He perceived some misbehaviour and obviously things went overboard from there," he said.
Mr Seaholme said the father and his partner was currently caring for of their two young grandchildren.
He said his client was a former truck driver but was now on a disability pension due to bad back.
Judge Richards sentenced the father to 12 months of probation.
As a condition of the order, the man will have to take part in an anger management course and positive parenting
His co-accused son was sentenced to six months in jail, suspended for three years.