A shed fire on a property in Elanora.
A shed fire on a property in Elanora.

Family's flood salvage destroyed

JUST over two months ago they managed to salvage their worldly possessions before floods inundated their Elanora Way home.

But in a cruel twist of fate a Karalee family has lost it all after the shed where they were storing their belongings went up in flames on Saturday morning.

Neighbour Jan Cronon said she and husband Barry heard an explosion close to 9.30am.

“We looked out of the window and saw the shed was on fire,” Mrs Cronon said.

“We both ran out and got a hose and tried to stop the fire.

“We kept water on it and tried to do as much as we could.”

While his legs were slightly scorched trying to put out the fire, Mr Cronon said they had been determined to do what they could to keep the fire at bay until firefighters arrived.

He said during January's floods, water had risen close to the top of the roof of the home, with the family saving what they could and storing it in the shed until their home could be rebuilt.

The couple and their daughter have been living in a caravan in the front yard of their home in the wake of the floods.

Struggling to hold back her tears, Mrs Cronon said she felt sick seeing what was left of the shed.

“It is not even my stuff, and I feel devastated for them,” she said. “They have been through a lot, and now this.”

Karana Downs station officer Des Sardie said the family was believed to be at work when the fire broke out.

Mr Sardie said fire crews had arrived to find the shed well ablaze.

He said officers were able to contain the fire to the shed and stop it spreading to the caravan parked in front of it.

“It was a good save from the firefighters,” Mr Sardie said.

“Fire had started to lick at the back of the caravan.”

He said firefighters had also managed to pull a “slightly burnt” possum out of the shed, with police officers taking the animal to a local vet to see if it could be saved.

The fire is believed to be not suspicious and possibly started as a result of an electrical fault.

First minute wonder goal ignites Ipswich Pride

First minute wonder goal ignites Ipswich Pride

NPL champions deliver knockout blow to rivals

Nepotism rules in sport

Nepotism rules in sport

Pride does not equal professional knowledge

Big Jim front and centre for CMC

Big Jim front and centre for CMC

Fans pour through the gates for third day of CMC Rocks

Local Partners