Dad dobs in druggie son
WHEN Bradley John Hansen's father discovered signs his son was cooking up drugs, he called the police.
Hansen, 42, had been living on his father's property at Calliope in August 2009 when his father paid a visit and noticed the strong scent of chemicals.
He confronted his son and told him to leave the property, but when he returned on August 23, nothing had changed.
He went into the house and discovered a chemistry set, syringes, jars containing crystal substances and several other items used in the production of methamphetamines.
He destroyed some of the property and put some of it in bins before calling the police and showing them where he had put it all.
No charges were laid and on January 18 the father returned to the property to make a similar discovery and again contacted police.
This time police found enough equipment, some with traces of methamphetamines on them, to charge Hansen with producing the drug.
Hansen pleaded guilty to two counts of producing a dangerous drug in the Supreme Court in Rockhampton last month, the day his case was set to go to trial.
Crown prosecutor Roger Griffith described the meth lab as "fairly makeshift" and said police couldn't prove he was producing the drug for anything more than personal use.
Defence barrister Ross Lo Monaco said Hansen had experimented with drugs in his teens and got to the point of being addicted when he was living in Brisbane in his early twenties.
Mr Lo Monaco said Hansen was at his worst in his mid to late twenties when he would inject up to 14 grams a day.
He said Hansen had cut back his drug use a "hell of a lot" and was trying to quit entirely.
Hansen was also on a suspended sentence for another offence at the time the charges were laid.
Justice McMeekin noted Hansen's past and said he was doubtful about his chances of getting his life on track.
"Whether you can be rehabilitated or not, I don't know, but I doubt it," Justice McMeekin said.
He invoked the 12-month suspended sentence Hansen was on and sentenced him to a further three years imprisonment to be served concurrently.
He set a parole eligibility date of February 22, 2013.