Dead heats add to excitement as Stacey secures Marburg title
BLUE skies, a warm day and no wind provided perfect conditions for Marburg's big trot meeting on Saturday.
The racing was keen and the fast mile rates tell you that the leaders did not muck about.
In the final two rounds of the Marburg Young Drivers Championship, the series early leader Stacy Weidemann maintained her lead courtesy of two fifth placings. She finished the winner by four points (24 total) from dead heaters Hayden Barnes and Amy Rees both on (21).
Next were Matt Elkins (20), Michael Johnson (18), Isobel Ross (15), Brittany Graham (14) and Nathan Dawson, stepping in for the suspended Justin Storie, who gained a creditable eight points from his impossible back mark of 0 at the commencement of the second round.
Such championships are influenced by luck of the draw in the assignment of horse flesh. However, the main attribute is the ability to turn out a consistent, quality drive, and Weidemann did just that.
She proved a worthy winner, feeling privileged to have taken part in the series.
Winning was just the icing on the cake. It was a day of dead heats.
Driving doubles to Amy Rees and Matt Elkins, plus a training double to Barty Cockburn were highlights on the day.
- Race 1: 1st Leo Striker (Amy Rees for Mark Rees) led throughout. 2nd Acer Animus (Clint Sneddon), equal 2nd Something Sizzlin (Mick Logan). Margins: 3.2m x dead heat. M/R: 2-03.2.
- Race 2: 1st Stylish Boulevard (Amy Rees for Barty Cockburn) led throughout for big win in fast time. 2nd Camivista (Michael Johnson for Chris McGuire), 3rd Mister Moseby (Nathan Dawson for Mick Benham). Margins: 18.4m x 3.7m. M/R 2-00.7.
- Race 3: 1st Isobella Maree (Matt Elkins for Julie Weidemann). 2nd Uncle Paul (Michael Johnson for David Rodger). 3rd. Half Moon Bromac (Amy Rees for Lacey Hinze). Margins: Head x 2.1m. M/R 2-02.4.
- Race 4: 1st Goldplay (Barty Cockburn). 2nd The Brazen Jasper (Julie Weidemann). 3rd Darlyn Sea (Gary Litzow for Wendy Smart). Margins: 4.9m x 2.3m. M/R 2-03.3.
- Race 5: 1st Feelgood Factor (Matt Elkins for Ron Sallis). 2nd. Diddley Bow (Amy Rees). 3rd. Bundys Best (Justin Pascoe). Margins 21.9m x 1.4m. M/R 2-02.4.
- Marburg races next on Saturday July 11.