News

Cuts cost sick residents

Steve Bean and Margaret Perry are both undergoing dialysis and rely on patient transfer service. Due to funding cuts this service is no longer available. lPhoto: Inga Williams / The Reporter
Steve Bean and Margaret Perry are both undergoing dialysis and rely on patient transfer service. Due to funding cuts this service is no longer available. lPhoto: Inga Williams / The Reporter Inga Williams

LOGAN residents who rely on weekly dialysis treatment to survive are angered at the scrapping of patient transfer vehicles by the State Government.

Just before Christmas, both Steve Bean and Margaret Perry were told they would need to find alternative transport to take them to and from the hospital, as funding would no longer be provided to the service.

Both feel this is a spending cut which has put their lives in jeopardy.

Mr Bean, who is being treated with dialysis, said since the axing of the patient transfer service, he has found it hard to make his weekly appointments.

"Anybody who has ever had dialysis before knows it can make you very ill," Mr Bean said.

"Because I can't drive myself to and from the hospital for my treatment, I have been having to rely on my elderly parents to take me.

"If they can't take me I have been having to take a cab, which costs me about $25 each way.

"But the problem with taking a cab as well is they don't always arrive on time, so that could mean you are late for your appointment which means that your dialysis treatment could be cut shorter.

"Our health is compromised if we are not there on time.

"When you have finished your dialysis you feel very unwell and most taxi drivers are hesitant to take you if you are going to be sick."

Ms Perry said she was disgusted with the way in which she was told.

"It was just before Christmas which meant it was very hard to find anything out or make other arrangements," she said.

"We hardly had a minutes notice.

"I tried to call the Premier's office to find out what was happening but they were not helpful at all."

State Member for Woodridge Desley Scott said more than 40 patients had been put at risk due to this recent funding cut.

"Just a week before Christmas the State Government had again callously slashed a vital frontline healthcare service which was helping some of the most vulnerable members of our community," she said.

"To leave patients on kidney dialysis in limbo was really scrapping the bottom of the barrel for heartless acts," she said.

The Reporter did contact the Minister for Health, Lawrence Springborg for a comment but he was unavailable.

However, a media representative said they were looking into the issue.

Topics:  dialysis funding cuts



Five hurt, road closed in multi-vehicle crash at Greenbank

Ambulance with lights on

Photo Tony Martin / Daily Mercury

Motorists are advised to seek an alternative route if possible

Spencer and Arya welcome baby Riley

Luke and Lauren Banch welcomed baby Riley Sierra Banch at the Ipswich Hospital on February 7. Riley is a baby brother to Spencer and Arya (pictured).

Meet Ipswich's newest citizens

Pilot confirmed dead in Melbourne plane crash tragedy

Pilot Max Quartermain is believed to have been flying the five-seater when it went down.Source:Supplied

An experienced pilot has been confirmed as one of the dead

Local Partners

Sir Elton John coming to Mackay: What you need to know

MACKAY will play host to one of the world's biggest superstars Sir Elton John later this year.

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Global superstar to rock Mackay in 2017

A major concert is set to rock Mackay this year.

Mackay, Cairns to host world's biggest superstars Sir Elton John

Robert Irwin introduces Jimmy Fallon to wild guests

Robert Irwin introduces Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon to a cuddly sloth.

ROBERT Irwin continues Steve's legacy.

MOVIE REVIEW: Trespass Against Us a 'tender' crime film

Michael Fassbender and Brendan Gleeson in a scene from the movie Trespass Against Us.

Tough British film about criminal clan proves touching

Crocodile, hippo fears as I'm A Celeb filming hit by flooding

Flooding hits the set of I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here!

Fears crocodiles and hippos could infiltrate I'm A Celeb camp

Small screen users make switch to smaller screens

In this photo taken Oct. 16, 2013, a girl plays Supercelll's Hay Day game on an iPad. The Finnish 'Clash of Clans' mobile game maker Supercell said Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014, it plans to launch its third game next month on a tide of soaring revenues and profits. The new game, 'Boom Beach,' will be launched in March. It's been tested in Canada and Australia, ranking fifth in both countries' iPhone app store lists, according to the company. (AP Photo/Lehtikuva, Milla Takala)  FINLAND OUT

The digital age generation makes the switch

Nadia visits Coast to escape Married At First Sight drama

Married At First Sight's Nadia Stamp takes a breather from the show's drama at Mooloolaba.

MAFS bride unwinds on the Coast ahead of commitment ceremony

Popular island resort sells to loaded international investor

OUR PICK: Chris Foey's colourful shot of one of Gladstone's great tourism hot spots, Heron Island.

International investor snaps up piece of Gladstone paradise.

Expert: Why renters, home buyers may struggle

Matusik Property Insights director Michael Matusik.

What's next for the city's housing market

Massive seaside development of 3200 lots

DESIRABLE LIFESTYLE: The masterplan for the proposed Elliott Heads Estate.

"There's nothing else left along the coastline of Queensland now"

Potential home buyers punished for doing the 'right thing'

Should I go to university or buy a house?

50 more high rise buildings planned for Brisbane CBD

Height limits have been scrapped for Brisbane CBD

800,000 more people expected to work in city over next 20 years

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!