Pet dog dies in South Mackay house fire
UPDATE 2pm: A family dog has perished after a fire broke out on Absolon St, South Mackay this morning.
The fire, which broke out about 11.30am, started in the back shed of the home but quickly spread.
Mackay Police's Sergeant Eric Close said one of the residents was working on a fuel pump in the shed when the fire started.
"A spark has ignited fuel that was in the shed - which has eventually gone to a 20 litre drum, which has exploded and the fire has then gone to the residence."
The mother and son living in the home were able to escape the blaze uninjured.
While it was initially treated as a crime scene it has since been deemed non-suspicious.
"The shed is totally destroyed and the rear rooms of the residence are also destroyed," Sgt Close said.
A car, caravan and motorbike were also engulfed by the flames.
BREAKING: Queensland Fire and Rescue crews are battling a house fire in South Mackay.
Police and ambulance crews are also on scene at Absolon St.
It's believed everyone was able to escape from the burning home, and that no one has been injured.
QFRS received the call to the fire at about 11.30am.