News

Court reporting jobs could be sent overseas

Speaking after the meeting, Mr Wellington said he “cannot believe” the jobs would not be kept within the state.
Speaking after the meeting, Mr Wellington said he “cannot believe” the jobs would not be kept within the state. Cade Mooney

UP TO 205 Queensland court reporting jobs could be moved interstate or overseas as the government prepares to outsource the roles to the top bidder.

It was a revelation uncovered by Sunshine Coast member for Nicklin Peter Wellington during a Parliamentary legal committee held on Wednesday morning.

Mr Wellington quizzed the Department of Justice and Attorney-General director of reporting Joanne Bugden on the tender process.

He was told the tender process would be open to all companies to bid for the contract to transcribe Queensland court cases.

This could potentially include businesses from interstate or overseas.

Speaking after the meeting, Mr Wellington said he "cannot believe" the jobs would not be kept within the state.

"I just think it's unbelievable that in 2012, this service has the potential to be outsourced to someone overseas," he said.

"I think it's wrong."

Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie said most government tenders were open to firms both out of state and out of country.

He said any application would be rigorously checked and the tender awarded to the most suitable company.

The winner will be in charge of monitoring, recording and transcribing all Queensland court proceedings.

Mr Wellington said the decision "floored" him.

"If this government has gone down the road with these tender documents where we see a company from outside Queensland and Australia operating this service - I think Queenslanders would be appalled.

"By crikey we need jobs for Queenslanders."

Mr Wellington said he understood the court reporters would be out of work from the end of May next year.

The successful firm will be named after applications close on January 7.

Topics:  court jarrod bleijie peter wellington



Body found during search for missing fisherman

SES and Police search for a missing person at Wivenhoe Dam.

A 38-year-old man went missing while swimming last Sunday

Lightning lands at Amberley

TOUCHDOWN: The first of the RAAF's F-35A Lightning II Joint Strike fighters landed at Amberley on Monday.

5th gen fighter arrives

Father fights for recognition for Grantham flood victim wife

Gary Jibson (previously Danny McGuire) is fighting to have his late wife recognised as a rural fire fighter.

Llync-Chiann Clarke-Jibson and children swept to their death in 2011

Local Partners

Jimmy Kimmel opens up about Oscars stuff-up

Academy Awards host Jimmy Kimmel gives his take on the epic Oscars envelope error: “It was the weirdest TV finale since ‘Lost’”

Groom threatens to walk out of Married At First Sight

Andrew is just about done with his “horrible” relationship with Cheryl.

ANOTHER explosive breakup is looming after a disastrous home visit.

'I wasn't naked': Blanca Blanco speaks out

Blanca Blanco arriving at the 89th Academy Awards. Picture: Ian West/PA WireSource:AAP

"It was a nude colour, it matches my skin, so I wasn’t naked.''

‘IT’S A LITTLE SAD’: Trump makes Oscars bungle all about him

US President Donald Trump claims Hollywood's elite were too busy mocking him to pay attention on Oscars night.

Donald Trump ‘explains’ Oscars stuff up.

Lama and Sarah’s ‘epic’ MKR fail

My Kitchen Rules contestants Lama and Sarah.

Tempers flare as Lebanese feast turns into an epic fail.

Oscars 2017: How did biggest award get stuffed up?

Presenter Warren Beatty shows the envelope with the actual winner for best picture as host Jimmy Kimmel, left, looks on at the Oscars on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. The winner was originally announced as La La Land, but was later corrected to Moonlight.

'Guys in headsets starting buzzing around. They took the envelope.'

Lisa Curry can't marry her fiance

Lisa Curry breaks down in the jungle.

Lisa Curry says she can’t get married to her fiance

Pahlke votes against "sardine city" small blocks

BOLD: Cr David Pahlke followed through on his opposition to smaller block sizes in the general council meeting.

David takes stand in council against State's housing density move

Casino boss loses $4m on waterfront Sunshine Coast home

The owner of this stunning Noosa home accepted much less than he had initially wanted for the home.

When illness struck owner forced to try and cash out of property

Mining homes dive: $600k homes sell for $120k-$300k

18 Yeates Street, Moranbah sold for $135,000 in December, after being repossessed by a bank. The owners bought for $545,000 in August, 2011.

The economy still has two speeds, but with a painful twist

Mackay's property market climbing like a Rocket Man

Renewed confidence in Mackay means more homes are being snapped up by those eager to plant their roots in the region.

There's movement in the real estate sector and it's all positive.

'Why we drove 800km to buy a treehouse with a disco ball'

The new owners have planned a few updates, but will stick with much of the original design.

A couple travelled almost 800km for the home of their dreams.

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!