Councillor seeks backing for cycleway change
A PUSH to have plans for the M2M Cycleway from Alexandra Headland to Maroochydore sent back to the drawing board may see Sunshine Coast Council withdraw its support for the project in its current form.
Division 4 councillor Joe Natoli has filed a notice of motion to be put at Thursday's council meeting that calls for the council to acknowledge and support the community's opposition to the proposed nominated route of Stage 6 of the M2M Cycleway now out for public consultation.
Cr Natoli said an attempt had been made to railroad an option through that misread the culture, history and connection that would be lost if beachgoers were forced to cross four lanes of traffic to access the water with kids, surfboards and other watercraft.
"They need to go back to the drawing board and find a solution everyone could live with," he said.
Cr Natoli said what was proposed was the equivalent of a sporting group using an oval for 50 years only to be told to move over to prioritise the needs of another group.
"How do you expect them to react," he said.
Last Thursday afternoon hundreds protesters lined the beach from Alex to Maroochydore to protest the proposal and call for the extension of consultation.
Cr Natoli on Thursday will ask his colleagues to support the search for another solution and acknowledge the Beach Matters Group representing beach users as a key community stakeholder to be involved in the consultation process.
He will also ask the council not to support Stage 6 until an alternative route can be identified and have community support.