BURNING BATTLE: Firefighters attempt to control house fire on Fair St in One Mile.
BURNING BATTLE: Firefighters attempt to control house fire on Fair St in One Mile. David Nielsen

Community reaches out to victims of fire

IPSWICH has come to the aid of a family who lost everything in a house fire on Thursday.

Assistance has been pouring in for the One Mile family whose house was gutted by the blaze, caused by a faulty power board in a bedroom.

Two separate donation drives were set up only hours after the fire, while Ipswich Community Care donated $500 to the family to be spent at Woolworths supermarkets.

Sharon McGaw, sister of the house's owner, said the family was distraught.

Mrs McGaw said the Housing Commission had informed the family they would be urgently rehoused.

Despite the loss Mrs McGaw said in some ways the family was lucky.

"There was five toddlers in there when it went up; they were lucky to just get out.

"All this from a power board. If it had happened at 3am we'd be burying them."

Mrs McGaw said the family had received boxes of toys for the kids, mattresses, blankets and pillows from donations.

Friend of the family Sean Tinney, whose house burnt down in 2010, said there had been a great amount of support from the community already.

"We've had cash donations, TVs, beds, kitchen stuff, clothes, a gentleman from Seeley donated all new pillows for the family," he said.

"They've just lost everything. Anything people can still give is really appreciated. Things the family don't want we'll be giving to Pastor Brooke at the Salvos to help people in future fires."

Donations can be dropped off at 2 Aspinall St, Leichhardt, or 20 Mornington Cres, One Mile. Phone Sean on 0411 068 618 to have donations for the family picked up.

Donations of cash can be made at Pearl's Radiators in Ipswich, Lucky 7 Leichhardt and Bridgestone North Ipswich.



We don’t need to encourage more bludgers

premium_icon We don’t need to encourage more bludgers

50 retirement funds to be looted by Labor to fund welfare handouts

HIGH ALERT: 20 fires burn across the state

HIGH ALERT: 20 fires burn across the state

FIRE crews are on standby as 20 blazes burn around Queensland.

Man involved in finger-chopping case back in court

premium_icon Man involved in finger-chopping case back in court

Revolving door of crime after drug disaster

Local Partners