Ipswich named in Smart21 list
IPSWICH has been named alongside cities from the US, Taiwan and Canada in the Intelligent Community Forum's Worldwide Smart21 of 2015.
It is the third time the city has been named a finalist in the Smart21, also recognised in 2011 and 2012.
This year's list also included the Sunshine Coast, Victoria's Whittlesea and South Australia's Prospect.
Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale said the 2015 Smart21 theme was Revolutionary Community, which was a perfect description for Ipswich.
"Back in 1995 Ipswich took a huge step towards the future creating Global Information Links and becoming the first local authority to provide internet access," Cr Pisasale said.
"Now we have university campuses, fast population growth, thriving development and award winning master-planned communities with technology infrastructure at its heart."
Ipswich will now vie for Intelligent Community of the Year which will be announced in June 2015.
The Smart21 of 2015 are:
- Arlington County, Virginia, USA
- Astana, Kazakhstan
- Aurora, Illinois, USA
- Changhua County, Taiwan
- Columbus, Ohio, USA
- Dubuque, Iowa, USA
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
- Mitchell, South Dakota, USA
- Nairobi County, Kenya
- New Taipei City, Taiwan
- Prospect, South Australia, Australia
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
- Shiojiri City, Japan
- Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
- Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
- Taitung County, Taiwan
- Taoyuan County, Taiwan
- Whanganui, New Zealand
- Whittlesea, Victoria, Australia