Lifeline taking donations for fire victim's family

UPDATE 5PM: Lifeline Darling Downs CEO Derek Tuffield said his organisation was taking donations for the family of the toddler killed in last night's North Toowoomba house fire.

He was with them this afternoon.

"We are just getting clothing now and just getting some accommodation lined up and that will tide them over for the weekend," Mr Tuffield said.

He said furniture could be donated to 192A Stephen St and clothing to any Lifeline shop.

>> PHOTOS OF FATAL FIRE INVESTIGATION

Cash donations will be received at Lifeline's 33 Russell St building during business hours.

The tragedy comes in what has been a tough week for the Toowoomba community.

A 37-year-old woman and her six-year-old son were killed in a car crash just south of the city on Monday.

Mayor Paul Antonio said he shared the community's concern about the tragedies.

"It must be very hard, our thoughts and prayers are with the people impacted in any way," Cr Antonio said.

Investigators at the house this morning.
Investigators at the house this morning. Kevin Farmer

11AM: A neighbour tried frantically to rescue a toddler who was killed in a house fire in North Toowoomba last night.

The fire at a Kenilworth St home was reported to emergency services about 6pm.

Fire crews found the body of the two-year-old boy in a room of the house.

A 15-year-old girl was reportedly babysitting the toddler - her nephew - and her three younger siblings.

The three siblings were two boys aged 10 and 11 and a girl 7.

Sources say the fire was caused by cooking oil left unattended. When the girl tried to extinguish the fire, it erupted into a larger blaze.

The neighbour and four other children were treated at the Toowoomba Hospital for smoke inhalation.

Fire investigation crews are at the home this morning.

Fire investigators at the scene of a fatal house fire in North Toowoomba.
Fire investigators at the scene of a fatal house fire in North Toowoomba.

6AM: Investigations into a North Toowoomba house fire that claimed the life of a two-year-old boy last night are continuing.

Four other children who were taken to hospital with smoke inhalation have been identified as two girls and two boys aged between 7 and 15.

The fire at a home on the intersection of Kenilworth and Jellicoe Sts was reported to emergency services about 6pm.

Fire crews battled the fire for about 50 minutes.

One firefighter was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation but did not require transport.

Police are at the scene this morning of the tragic house fire in North Toowoomba that killed a two-year-old boy.
Police are at the scene this morning of the tragic house fire in North Toowoomba that killed a two-year-old boy.

The house was extensively damaged.

Investigators will re-attend the scene this morning.

BREAKING 7PM: A child has been killed in a house fire in North Toowoomba and four others are being treated in Toowoomba Hospital for smoke inhalation.

The fire at a Kenilworth St home was reported to emergency services about 6pm.

Fire crews battled the fire for about 50 minutes. 

A child died in this house fire in Kenilworth St, North Toowoomba.
A child died in this house fire in Kenilworth St, North Toowoomba. Nev Madsen

A Queensland Ambulance Service spokeswoman said all the children were aged under 15 years.

A neighbour was also taken to Toowoomba Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Queensland Fire and Rescue Service remain at the scene of the fire.

The house was extensively damaged.



80 PICS: Facebook bubs star on QT

80 PICS: Facebook bubs star on QT

We asked you to share your pics and you didn't disappoint.

10 things to do this weekend

10 things to do this weekend

What's on in Ipswich

Thousands raised for family of serious car crash victim

Thousands raised for family of serious car crash victim

"Corey along with his family needs our continued prayers,”

Local Partners