Cemetery set to reopen
THE Taromeo cemetery is now set to reopen.
February 23 will mark almost two years since the cemetery was devastated by fierce flooding in 2011.
The walls, which stood five foot high, were totally covered by water when unprecedented flood waters rose from nearby Taromeo Creek.
After pulling in the help of more than 30 volunteers, countless hours of work and a budget of $200,000, the Taromeo Cemetery has been restored to its former glory.
The Heritage Listed Walled Cemetery was originally constructed out of stones held together by ant bed.
$150,000 was received from the Federal Government towards the reconstruction and a further $21,000 from the State Government.
One woman who is touched to see the restoration complete is Taromeo resident Jenny Thomas whose relatives are buried in the cemetery.
The majority of the cemetery contains the remains of the Scott and the Gillan families, both of which Mrs Thomas is related to.
"It is wonderful to see the cemetery being taken care of and a renewed interest in it from the community," she said.
"The last one of my family to be buried in there was my great uncle Simon Alexander Scott who was buried in 1962," she said.
Mrs Thomas said the sight of the cemetery following the floods was confronting.
"We were all rather devastated," she said.
"It was quite a shock to see it in such a way and that it had been there for so long and it had not been flooded before.
"But the restoration process has brought a lot of people together and a chance to learn about the region's history."
She said the restoration process had also led her to learn about her own family history.
"I have actually found relatives living in Brisbane," she said.
"Hopefully they can come to the reopening of the cemetery."
The public is invited to attend the Taromeo Cemetery Restoration celebrations on February 23 at 3pm. RSVP before January 31 to Vivienne Kirby on 41899549.
Have you got an interesting story about your family history? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.