McGuire's future uncertain
CASEY McGuire concedes his NRL career is probably over.
However, he has vowed to soldier on in an attempt to earn a career swansong.
The Sunshine Coast-bred Parramatta playmaker was ruled out yesterday for 12 weeks after tearing his pectoral tendon from the bone in his team's 14-12 loss to St George Illawarra on Saturday night.
He will undergo surgery to repair the injury and faces a race against time to get back on the field one final time.
There are 14 weeks remaining in the NRL regular season and the 32-year-old will come off contract at the end of the year.
Despite facing an uphill battle McGuire was in good spirits yesterday and said he would have to wait to learn if he would strap on a pair of boots again.
"I probably have played my last game," he said from Sydney.
"But I'm just going to try to get this injury right and give myself a chance. I've got my goal."
The Kawana Dolphins junior played two games for Queensland in the 2005 State of Origin series.
The former Brisbane Bronco made a return to the NRL last year after three years in the English Super League with the Catalans Dragons.
Since arriving at Parramatta he has been coach Stephen Kearney's Mr Fix It, filling in at hooker, five-eighth and halfback.
This year he has been one of the last-placed Eels' most consistent performers and was rewarded last month with a starting spot.
Despite the bad timing of the injury McGuire refused to be down-hearted, insisting he had enjoyed a charmed run with injury during his career.
"This injury is hard but I've been very lucky," he said yesterday.
"I haven't had many major injuries so I can't complain."