Car fire at busy shopping centre
AN IPSWICH woman’s car caught fire minutes after leaving the mechanic for repairs for overheating problems.
Witnesses said the little red Holden Barina began smouldering while it was parked outside the Trade Secrets store at the Home HQ shopping centre at Brisbane Street, West Ipswich about 11.15am Wednesday.
The 22-year-old owner was unaware of the fire until the store’s staff put a message across the PA system.
By then the bonnet was well alight.
Firefighters rushed to the scene and put the fire out without any damage to vehicles parked alongside the stricken hatchback.
The owner said she noticed the car smoking after she left the mechanic and called them back to have a look at the problem before the fire started.
She said the mechanic had offered her the use of another vehicle.