Captain in doubt for Ipswich Jets clash with Norths
THE Ipswich Jets will be well on their way to creating rugby league history if they can upstage Norths tomorrow afternoon.
However, the club's spirited FOGS Cup team may have to do it without their captain Kevin Bell.
The Jets five-eighth is battling a back injury and will be given until tomorrow to pass a fitness test.
Victory in tomorrow's 4pm final at Langlands Park will propel the Jets into next weekend's grand final against Easts at the North Ipswich Reserve.
However, the Todd Brown-coached team has to beat the Devils for the first time to keep their bid for a historic first FOGS Cup title alive.
The Jets reached the 2007 grand final at Suncorp Stadium under Paul Lowe, losing to Wynnum Manly.
Current mentor Brown said his improving team had come close to Norths this season and were ready to take the next step.
"They're a good little unit. They just took a while to gel," Brown said, having joined the side halfway through last season.
"Probably we've got our attitude right at the right end of the season.
"I'm a big believer that attitude is everything.
"We've been going well the last couple of weeks. The attitude has been really good."
The Jets finished the FOGS Cup season in fourth place, eliminating third-placed Redcliffe Dolphins 28-10 in week one of the finals.
Jake O'Doherty scored two tries in that game. Josh Seage was also impressive.
Forwards O'Doherty and Seage will have major roles again tomorrow afternoon if the Jets are to overpower a Norths side with eight players having Queensland Cup experience.
However, the first challenge is getting Bell on the field.
"He's got a smart head on him. We'll see how we go," Brown said.
Luke Pollock will move into five-eighth if Bell is unable to play.
Ipswich Jets team for tomorrow's 4pm final at Langlands Park: 1. Josh Veivers, 2. Michael Garvey, 3. Luke Pollock, 4. Jake Busby, 5. Khan Ahwang, 6. Kevin Bell (c),
7. Chris Ash 8. Lance Sua-Poe,
9. Michael Fisher 10. Billy McConnachie, 11. Josh Seage, 12. Slade King, 13. Ray Schuster, 15. Matt McPhee 17. Mahe Paseka, 18. DJ Purcell, 20. Jake O'Doherty. Coach: Todd Brown.
Norths Devils: 1. Joel Bailey,
2. Tom Murray, 3. Kainga Turner,
4. Zach Koitka, 5. Michael Lucas,
6. Jody Henry, 7. Todd Murphy, 8. Pat Macpherson, 9. Will McNee (c),
10. Shaun Maloney, 11. Troyden Watene, 12. Matt Brown, 13. James Sharkie, 14. Paul Stanley, 15. Sam Broomhall, 16. Liam Herrington,
17. Zac Hook. Coach: Mark Gliddon.