News

Second blaze ravages buildings at historic railway workshops

UPDATE: For the second time in little more than a year, fire has ripped through historic buildings near The Workshops Rail Museum.

As happened last September, initial reports said the fire early yesterday morning had engulfed the museum complex at North Ipswich.

Although those fears were again allayed, the fire did even more buildings from the historic former Ipswich railway workshops.

The fire started just before 1am and Ipswich Queensland Fire and Rescue Service crews fought the flames with help from Brisbane units.

Two buildings separated by a walkway were razed and fire leapt to a nearby derelict building and lit its ceiling space.

QFRS Ipswich station officer Brad Lambourne said crews did well to save two other buildings.

"There are some big structures in behind there that have not been touched," he said.

The Workshops Rail Museum director Andrew Moritz said it was an unwelcome case of deja vu after last September's fire.

"When I got a call in the early hours of the morning there were thoughts the museum was on fire but it quickly became evident it was in the same place as last year," Mr Moritz said.

The burnt buildings were about 200m from the nearest museum building but close enough to spread had firefighters not acted.

The land is owned by Leda and, as with the buildings destroyed last year, those lost yesterday contained asbestos.

Ipswich CIB Detective Sergeant John Hopkins said the fire was deliberately lit and an investigation was proceeding.

"We've door-knocked and we've checked the cameras but we have nothing at the moment," he said.

Mayor Paul Pisasale said the usual reward of $2000 in relation to damage of public property would be doubled in this case.

"The Workshops are safe again but only thanks to the great work of our firefighters," he said.

Police scientific officers are liaising with QFRS investigators to examine the cause of the fire.

 

 

Topics:  fire north ipswich railway workshops railway workshops museum



Patients inside as ambulance hit on highway

Queensland Ambulance Service transported a 60-year-old man from Septimus

Three paramedics among the injured

James Hardie boss devastated by work death

Emergency Services, Ambulance, QAS, Photo Bev Lacey / The Chronicle

A MAN in his 60s has died in an industrial accident.

New counter-terrorism facility to be built in Wacol

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, pictured with Police Commisioner Ian Stewart, has announced plans to build a new counter-terrorism facility in Wacol.

The facility will be built over three years.

Local Partners

10 strange stories behind famous sex scenes

WHEN it comes to shooting sex scenes, it’s no secret that every set has their own method.

HBO spills new details on Game of Thrones’ final season

Game of Thrones’ eighth and final season will only have six episodes.

New details about what to expect from the eighth, final instalment.

Karl’s rant on Corby: ‘Made to look like idiots’

Karl Stefanovic is sick of hearing about Schapelle Corby.

Today co-host launched a tirade against Schapelle Corby media circus

Big Pineapple festival safety concerns as 100s walk home

LONG WALK HOME: Many festival goers opted to take a dangerous walk home due to transport difficulty following the Big Pineapple Festival in Woombye on Saturday.

Big Pineapple festival-goers have braved dangerous walks home

Shot at the live shows slips through Sally's fingers

Sally Skelton and Bojesse Pigram pictured after their battle performance on The Voice.

Sunshine Coast singer's dramatic elimination from The Voice

Ben Stiller and Christine Taylor split after 17 years

They were married in May 2000 and have two children, who they said will remain their priority.

Ben Stiller and his wife Christine Taylor have called it a day

Why The Voice hasn't produced a star

Boy George responds to Brittania Clifford-Pugh's heart-warming message.

It's the industry, not the show, says Boy George

Home to a sex worker: Sordid history of iconic Coast shed

Milojevic Djordjevic's daughter Linda at the derelict shed on Yandina-Coolum Road.

The shed was once a liveable 'barrack'.

This is real estate's billion-dollar man

Bob Wolff at AREC with John McGrath of McGrath Real Estate.

They don’t call him the “Billion dollar man” for nothing

Man's amazing comeback from monster crisis

Pat O'Driscoll agents Penny Keating and Doug Webber sold 56 Agnes St, The Range at auction over the weekend.

NOT long ago, he sold his possessions to pay staff. Now he's back.

Report reveals progress on $319m airport upgrade

Aerials of the Sunshine Coast.Jetstar plane in front of the Susnhine Coast terminal, Sunshine Coast Airport.

Over two dozen government approvals needed for airport expansion

Lost dough leaves sour taste after company collapse

Kathleen and John Mahoney from Sugar and Spice Bakery were stung after the collapse of Cantro Pty Ltd and are still owed money.

Supermarket operator collapse leaves sour taste for bakery

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!