Belly of the Beast
The potato has been mashed.
On the downside:
Scott Morrison is PM.
Some important things to note:
* As Immigration Minister, the Australian Human Rights Commission found Morrison failed the children in detention centres.
* When victims of the Christmas Island boat people tragedy were due to be buried in Sydney, he launched an attack on the government for paying for family members to make the journey from Christmas Island.
* He reportedly argued in shadow cabinet that the Liberals should exploit community concerns about Muslim immigrants.
* As Treasurer, he defended coal as a viable primary energy source for Australia and waved around a chunk of it in parliament to make his point that it’s not to be feared.
* He is opposed to same-sex marriage. He proposed an amendment to the Marriage Bill to disallow same-sex couples to have children.
* He regularly attends the Horizon Church, which is affiliated with the Australian Christian Churches and the Assemblies of God.
As Bernard Fanning sings in Belly of the Beast, “The saying goes that people get the leaders they deserve. Take a look at our leaders, I guess that makes us all absurd.”
So, here we are in the belly of the beast.