News

Violent armed robber may be freed early after appeal win

AN ARMED robber, who was jailed over a violent home invasion, could be let out of prison early after he won an appeal to shorten his jail term.

William Rotoparera Taki had burst into a Goodna couple's home and robbed them at gunpoint on October 4, 2013.

The then 28-year-old had learned the victims had withdrawn $10,000 from their bank earlier that day.

However, by the time Taki broke in to the house, the money had already been paid to a builder.

Instead, Taki - and a co-offender who arrived later - stole more than $25,000 worth of jewellery from the couple for their loot.

During the robbery, Taki repeatedly hit the male resident with the butt of his gun, which knocked the 32-year-old victim unconscious.

The victim suffered three fractures to his jaw and required reconstructive surgery, which included the insertion of plates. He and his 29-year-old wife were both unknown to Taki.

At Ipswich District Court on September 1 last year, Taki was found guilty by a jury of armed burglary in company with actual violence, stealing and causing grievous bodily harm.

The court was told Taki, a father, had a minor criminal history.

Taki had pleaded guilty to breaking into the house and attacking the residents but denied using a weapon or stealing anything.

He was sentenced to six years in jail, with parole eligibility after three years.

The now 30-year-old recently appealed that sentence and argued he should have been given a lighter sentence given his lack of previous criminal history.

Taki said parole eligibility at the statutory halfway point was "manifestly excessive".

He added he was remorseful and that we wanted to go home to his kids.

Justice Margaret McMurdo said Taki should be given some "modest credit" for his "relatively trouble-free past and his limited co-operation and qualified guilty pleas".

Taki's sentence was shortened so he would now be eligible for parole after two years and nine months.

Topics:  home invasion ipswich district court



Rollercoaster stuck after power outage

The hypercoaster opened officially last week. Picture Glenn Hampson.

Movie World’s latest attraction stalled after power surge

Race to Pixar Cars Pit Stop these school holidays

Disney-Pixar Cars is revving up and getting ready to hit the track at Orion these school holidays.

Disney tour is a first ever for shopping centre

One injured after fuel truck incident on crossing site

Emergency Services, QFES, Fire, Fire truck, Fire & Rescue Photo Bev Lacey / The Chronicle

A fuel truck left the road in an on-site incident

Local Partners