Boy, 3, dies in Goodna blaze
By Josephine Gillespie
LIFE was tragically altered for a Goodna family yesterday morning after their three-year-old boy died in a house fire.
At the scene of the incident yesterday acting police superintendent Noel Powers said the toddler had been watching TV before the fire started, together with his mother and six-year-old sister in their Martha Street home.
He said the youngster went upstairs and a short time later his mother noticed smoke billowing from a room above.
It is believed the fire started about 7am in a front bedroom.
"(His mum) went to go upstairs and couldn't get there, the flames beat her back," Supt Powers said.
"Police were first on the scene and couldn't get in."
A Neighbour also tried to kick the front door in to rescue the child but was held back by the flames.
"It was when the firefighters turned up and got the fire out that we discovered the body," Supt Powers said. The boy's father, who had been at work at the time of the incident, rushed home to be with his family.
Shocked neighbours milled about the street taking in the police tape and flashing emergency lights.
Neighbour Lesley Swales lives three doors up from the family and said the fire was a tragedy.
"It is sad, really sad," Ms Swales said.
"I know the kids. They will need help re-starting again...It's heartbreaking."
Barely holding back tears, the stunned local said she was planning to gather clothes and toys to donate to the family.
"He was a cute, cute, little boy," Ms Swales said.
"The little girl is good too. They are devastated.
"She always wanted a boy and now he is gone."
Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale said the tragedy had united the city in grief.
"When things like this happen, it affects the whole city," Cr Pisasale said.
"It is a sad, dark day for Ipswich.
"Our immediate response is our thoughts and prayers are with the family."
Ipswich Councillor Paul Tully launched an appeal for the family late yesterday.
Donations can be left at his electorate office at 18 Queen Street, Goodna.
At the time of going to print the family's name had not been officially released.
The blaze is not being treated as suspicious.