News

Another bomb scare clears Supreme and District courts

 Brisbane Supreme and District courts.
Brisbane Supreme and District courts. Rae Wilson

AN ANONYMOUS bomb threat, which sparked the evacuation of almost 600 people at Brisbane's Supreme and District Court, has been described as disgraceful and irresponsible.

Queensland Chief Justice Paul de Jersey said it was disgraceful someone would disrupt legal processes in this way, for the second time this year.

The Brisbane Supreme Court switchboard received the threat at 9.40am, resulting in lawyers, media, criminals and members of the public being evacuated floor by floor.

Witnesses reported finding fire doors locked, trapping them on upper levels in the new building - which was opened in August - until security staff aided their exit.

The police bomb and dog squads scoured the building and declared it safe more than two hours later.

A similar evacuation occurred at the old courthouse in June during the Gerard Baden-Clay bail application, Max Sica's murder trial for murdering three siblings and the same day as a Finks motorcycle gang application.

Justice de Jersey said on Friday a manslaughter trial had to be adjourned and 100 other criminal and civil matters disrupted.

"'It's a disgraceful waste of public resources and it's a gross intrusion into the wellbeing of all participants in the judicial process," he said.

"These people should realise that they are sometimes caught.

"And if they are, they will face the full weight of the law."

Threat details could not been released as police investigations are continuing.

 

10.30am: A BOMB scare has led to the evacuation of the new Brisbane Supreme and District Court precinct.

Just moments after the weekly Friday morning drill, wardens were asked to evacuate floor by floor.

Dozens of police, including the dog squad, rushed to the courthouse, between George and Roma streets, as people exited between 9.30 and 10am.

The dog squad entered the building to search a short time ago.

Initial indications are that people cannot return to the building before 12.30pm

A similar evacuation occurred at the old courthouse earlier this year during the Gerard Baden-Clay bail application for murdering his wife, Max Sica's trial for murdering three siblings and the same day as a Finks motorcycle gang application.

 


Topics:  bomb scare brisbane supreme court



Man bashed in alleged hammer attack at Ipswich caravan park

EMERGENCY SERVICES: Generic Police file photo.

Police say five people forced entry to his cabin at about 7am

KFC, the car and the loo: Where snakes are ending up

SLIPPERY CUSTOMERS Andrew's Snake Removal's Andrew Smedley removed three snakes from a Forest Hill home.

Wet weather pushing snakes to move in at your place

'I have never got my job back': Life changed at work

HIS STORY: Cameron Auld is reminding people of the importance of workplace health and safety.

"Go with your gut feeling, put your safety first."

Local Partners