News

Man poses as 13yo to lure children

A BLACKSTONE man has been charged after police intervened in his "very sexualised engagement" with a child on a social networking site.

Police will allege the 42-year-old man posed online as a 13-year-old girl in order to make contact with children.

He was charged on June 3 with two counts of using the internet to procure children under 16, and two counts of possessing child exploitation material.

He is currently bailed and is due to appear in the Ipswich Magistrates Court on June 19.

Taskforce Argos raids detected and charged seven alleged child sex offenders across south-east Queensland last week, with the Blackstone man being among those men.

Detective Inspector Jon Rouse said the Blackstone man's case was especially worrying because it concerned a real child.

"It becomes most concerning when we see very sexualised engagement with a child, and obviously this caused a great deal of alarm for her parents," Dt Insp Rouse said.

"He was posing as a 13-year-old girl... and he had set up his social networking site with a number of photographs of the same child and, in chat on the social networking site, he progressively and aggressively switched the conversation to a sexualised context and then endeavoured to get the child to send photos of herself to him..."

"Fortunately the parents advised us of what was going on and we intervened before a meeting happened."

Dt Insp Rouse said police believed the man had "harvested open source images" of another child to build his fake online profile.

He said the man had tried to contact many other children.

"In this particular instance, the offender was targeting literally hundreds of Queensland children - spamming them, if you like, with friend requests."

Dt Insp Rouse said the Queensland Police Service was concerned by the escalation in offences originating from social networking sites.

"We are now regularly identifying and arresting people that create online accounts and pose as 11- to 13-year-old boys and girls to befriend other young children," he said.

He said the seven sets of charges, which were made from June 4 to June 9, were largely unrelated.

The other charges from the raid relate to a 27-year-old Strathpine man, a 35-year-old Sunnybank Hills Man, a 34-year-old Eagleby man, a 20-year-old Caboolture man, a 50-year-old Kingston man and a 47-year-old Marsden man.

According to Dt Insp Rouse, the seven men arrested were all childless, and some were married.

Dt Insp Rouse said the six other alleged offenders were detected by Queensland and South Australian police posing as children online, and also through referrals regarding the upload of child exploitation material from Washington DC.

Topics:  child grooming social media taskforce argos



OP results: Ipswich private schools fail to make top 50

JUST A NUMBER: Ipswich Grammar Principal Richard Morrison says a boy's education shouldn't be reduced to an OP score.

'It's not just about a single digit OP': Grammar Principal

Car fire: Ambos treat woman for smoke inhalation

fire generic.  Fire truck.

A motorist is recovering in hospital after a car fire at Fernvale

Five hurt, road closed in multi-vehicle crash at Greenbank

Ambulance with lights on

Photo Tony Martin / Daily Mercury

Motorists are advised to seek an alternative route if possible

Local Partners

Sir Elton John coming to Mackay: What you need to know

MACKAY will play host to one of the world's biggest superstars Sir Elton John later this year.

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Global superstar to rock Mackay in 2017

A major concert is set to rock Mackay this year.

Mackay, Cairns to host world's biggest superstars Sir Elton John

Robert Irwin introduces Jimmy Fallon to wild guests

Robert Irwin introduces Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon to a cuddly sloth.

ROBERT Irwin continues Steve's legacy.

MOVIE REVIEW: Trespass Against Us a 'tender' crime film

Michael Fassbender and Brendan Gleeson in a scene from the movie Trespass Against Us.

Tough British film about criminal clan proves touching

Crocodile, hippo fears as I'm A Celeb filming hit by flooding

Flooding hits the set of I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here!

Fears crocodiles and hippos could infiltrate I'm A Celeb camp

Small screen users make switch to smaller screens

In this photo taken Oct. 16, 2013, a girl plays Supercelll's Hay Day game on an iPad. The Finnish 'Clash of Clans' mobile game maker Supercell said Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014, it plans to launch its third game next month on a tide of soaring revenues and profits. The new game, 'Boom Beach,' will be launched in March. It's been tested in Canada and Australia, ranking fifth in both countries' iPhone app store lists, according to the company. (AP Photo/Lehtikuva, Milla Takala)  FINLAND OUT

The digital age generation makes the switch

Nadia visits Coast to escape Married At First Sight drama

Married At First Sight's Nadia Stamp takes a breather from the show's drama at Mooloolaba.

MAFS bride unwinds on the Coast ahead of commitment ceremony

Popular island resort sells to loaded international investor

OUR PICK: Chris Foey's colourful shot of one of Gladstone's great tourism hot spots, Heron Island.

International investor snaps up piece of Gladstone paradise.

Expert: Why renters, home buyers may struggle

Matusik Property Insights director Michael Matusik.

What's next for the city's housing market

Massive seaside development of 3200 lots

DESIRABLE LIFESTYLE: The masterplan for the proposed Elliott Heads Estate.

"There's nothing else left along the coastline of Queensland now"

Potential home buyers punished for doing the 'right thing'

Should I go to university or buy a house?

50 more high rise buildings planned for Brisbane CBD

Height limits have been scrapped for Brisbane CBD

800,000 more people expected to work in city over next 20 years

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!