A hearty breakfast for good health
STAYING healthy during the cold winter months can be made easy by following just a few simple tips.
Research shows that sleeping in on a chilly winter morning and foregoing breakfast is bad for our waistlines.
Healthy breakfast ideas
- Porridge made with milk (preferably reduced fat) and sultanas
- Wholegrain toast with scrambled or poached eggs
- Bowl of wholegrain cereal with milk (preferably reduced fat)
- Eating fish can also help to beat the winter blues.
- Research is building on the role of omega-3 fats for improving symptoms of low mood.
- Eat two to three fish meals each week.
- Good choices include salmon, sardines, mackerel or tuna.
- Choose omega-3 enriched eggs.
- Try ground flaxseed (flaxseed meal) as a topping on breakfast cereal.
- Ward off cold and flu - the natural way with zinc, echinacea or vitamin C. Good choices to ensure you eat enough zinc include lean red meat, fish and poultry, wholegrain cereals, legumes, dairy foods (preferably reduced fat) and nuts.
- Eat plenty of colourful fruit and vegetables, including those high in vitamin C such as citrus fruits, capsicum and broccoli.
- Drink up. Always have a glass, bottle or jug of water handy to stay well-hydrated during winter.