Aussies should abandon any plans to visit southern Beirut

AUSSIES planning a trip to the Middle East right now should abandon any plans to visit southern Beirut after a car bombing killed 20 at the weekend.

Foreign Minister Bob Carr upgraded the government's travel advice after a series of similar bombings in recent months.

Mr Carr said an earlier car bomb attack on July 9 and a rocket attack in late May was "barbaric".

He said due to a "risk of further attacks, Australians are advised not to travel" to the Lebanon capital's southern suburbs.

Those already there should also consider leaving, and any Australians in Lebanon currently were asked to register with the Australian Embassy.

The travel warnings also came after similar warnings last week for tourists in Cairo, Egypt, as the death toll there continues to rise.



Brilliant Broncos storm into NRLW grand final

Brilliant Broncos storm into NRLW grand final

The Brisbane Broncos defeated the Warriors to make 3 for 3

Risque glamour on menu as burlesque comes to Ipswich

premium_icon Risque glamour on menu as burlesque comes to Ipswich

Burlesque performers to move into Ipswich social scene

Trekker turns off his camera after months of mapping Ipswich

premium_icon Trekker turns off his camera after months of mapping Ipswich

The boffins from Google returned to collect their camera

Local Partners