News

364 have say on fracking in NT

Images like this shale gasfield in Green River Basin, Wyoming, in the United States, is what the Labor Government will be trying to ensure does not happen in the NT through conducting its inquiry into fracking.
Images like this shale gasfield in Green River Basin, Wyoming, in the United States, is what the Labor Government will be trying to ensure does not happen in the NT through conducting its inquiry into fracking. Contributed

THE Northern Territory Government has rejected claims there was a problem with the website that was set up to take submissions about the forthcoming inquiry into fracking in the NT.

In a statement last week, Frack-Free NT quoted members of the public who said they were told by people within government "that the webpage hasn't been capturing submissions" for the Draft Terms of Reference for the inquiry into hydraulic fracturing of onshore unconventional gas reservoirs.

Submissions for the inquiry's draft terms closed at midnight on October 13.

Two days beforehand, Frack-Free NT called on the government to extend the date for submissions because of the "technical issue".

In the Frack-Free statement, Pauline Cass said she contacted the Chief Minister's office to make sure her submission and others from family members had been received and was told there were issues.

"The IT guy in the Chief Minister's office told us there has been a technical issue and the webpage hasn't been capturing submissions," Ms Cass said.

"Getting the Terms of Reference right for the fracking inquiry is critical. It will determine if they actually get to research the things that matter to Territorians.

"I think it's only fair that the government makes a public announcement on their webpage fail and extends the consultation time on the Terms of Reference for another month.

"Hundreds of people could have put in submissions that have now been lost.

"This is a disaster for Territorians who have strong views on this issue and who have been disenfranchised by Minister Gunner rushing through this process in a bid to placate the gas industry."

The Frack-Free statement also said that Katherine residents found the same issue when they called to check their submissions were received.

A spokeswoman for Ken Vowles, the Minister for Primary Industry and Resources, told Rural Weekly there had been no issue with the website.

"There has not been any IT troubles preventing submissions from being entered," the spokeswoman said in an email reply to questions from Rural Weekly.

Meanwhile, the government said it had received 364 submissions for the Draft Terms of Reference.

The Minister for Environment and Natural Resources Lauren Moss said the number of submissions received from the community demonstrated the importance of an open and transparent process.

"The government has kept faith with the thousands of Territorians who voted for a moratorium on fracking and an open and transparent process of community consultation and scientific investigation," Ms Moss said.

"To have such a high level of response shows how important the community sees not just this issue, but engaging proactively with the government.

"The Northern Territory Government is pleased that so many people took the time to lodge a submission to have their voices heard."

Following the finalisation of the Terms of Reference, and the formation of the inquiry panel, public consultation sessions and meetings will be held in Darwin, Katherine, Tennant Creek, Alice Springs and other regional communities.

Ms Moss said the moratorium on hydraulic fracturing of onshore unconventional reservoirs within the Territory would remain in place until government had thoroughly considered the recommendations of the inquiry.

Topics:  fracking inquiry northern territory government submissions



Patients inside as ambulance hit on highway

Queensland Ambulance Service transported a 60-year-old man from Septimus

Three paramedics among the injured

James Hardie boss devastated by work death

Construction firms have faced challenges from rising costs and small margins, but there's absolutely no indication that the coming year will be any worse than the past couple, MBA's Will Wilson says.

A MAN in his 60s has died in an industrial accident.

How police shooting in Lockyer Valley unfolded

An armed man is on the run from police after an officer was shot this afternoon.

Events that led to a police officer's death in the Lockyer Valley

Local Partners

WATCH: Judah battles his emotions as he makes Top 12

Judah Kelly has made it through to the top 12 of Australia's The Voice competition.

Karl Stefanovic's rant about Schapelle Corby 'a bit rich'

Karl Stefanovic is sick of hearing about Schapelle Corby.

Maybe he just wanted to make himself the story.

My Kitchen Rules champion reveals how he won $250K

SWEET SUCCESS: MKR 2017 winners Amy and Tyson Murr celebrate their glorious victory.

VIDEO: Tyson revealed behind-the-scenes stories in his speech at IGS

Could Schapelle be heading for Gladstone?

Australian Schapelle Corby is escorted by Bali Police at the parole office in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia, 27 May 2017.

Schapelle's mother teases her free daughter could be Gladstone bound

Six things you never knew about Men in Black

Mushu the pug

It's been 20 years since Men in Black first hit cinemas

10 strange stories behind famous sex scenes

Khaleesi and Khal Drogo in a steamy moment.

Every set has their own way of filming sex scenes

HBO spills new details on Game of Thrones’ final season

Game of Thrones’ eighth and final season will only have six episodes.

New details about what to expect from the eighth, final instalment.

New $46.7m counter-terrorism facility to be built in Wacol

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, pictured with Police Commisioner Ian Stewart, has announced plans to build a new counter-terrorism facility in Wacol.

The facility will be built over three years.

Home to a sex worker: Sordid history of iconic Coast shed

Milojevic Djordjevic's daughter Linda at the derelict shed on Yandina-Coolum Road.

The shed was once a liveable 'barrack'.

This is real estate's billion-dollar man

Bob Wolff at AREC with John McGrath of McGrath Real Estate.

They don’t call him the “Billion dollar man” for nothing

Man's amazing comeback from monster crisis

Pat O'Driscoll agents Penny Keating and Doug Webber sold 56 Agnes St, The Range at auction over the weekend.

NOT long ago, he sold his possessions to pay staff. Now he's back.

Report reveals progress on $319m airport upgrade

Aerials of the Sunshine Coast.Jetstar plane in front of the Susnhine Coast terminal, Sunshine Coast Airport.

Over two dozen government approvals needed for airport expansion

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!