IT MIGHT be easier to find a park at the new Sunshine Coast University Hospital, but it is going to cost you.
The Kawana campus boasts 3500 car parking spaces, but only about 175 of those spaces will be free.
In comparison, there are 835 car parks at Nambour General Hospital, including 400 spaces in the multi-level car park. All are paid.
A five-storey carpark, adjacent to the new co-located Sunshine Coast University Private Hospital, will take on a paid parking arrangement. Charges will be made public before the opening in 2013.
Sunshine Coast University Hospital project director Mark Buckle, from Lend Lease, said it would be one of two multi-level car parks at the campus.
The second multi-level car park will be adjacent to the hospital and have an overhead pedestrian bridge.
Mr Buckle said parking configuration would include patient drop-off areas and short term parking, spaces for taxis, couriers, on-call staff and ambulances, as well as dedicated parking for certain patient groups.
"The Kawana site will also be accessible by public transport, via the proposed Coast Connect bus transport route, and is in close proximity to the proposed transport hub to the north of the SCUH site at Kawana," he said.
The Queensland Government is investing $2.03 billion in the hospital.
It will open with about 450 beds in 2016, expanding to 738 beds by 2021.
>> Sunshine Coast University Hospital key dates
- Design from September 2012 through to the end of 2013.
- Site establishment and bulk Earthworks from October 2012.
- Kawana Wy duplication April to December 2013.
- First multi-level carpark from February to December 2013.
- Main hospital structure from mid 2013 to end 2014.
- Fitout and finishes from April 2014.
- Project Completion (Stage 1) - end 2016.
- Completion (Stage 2) - mid 2018.
- Completion (Stage 3) - mid 2021.