Men to face penalty for kidnap and horrific abuse of victim

TWO men who kidnapped and tortured another man over an alleged drug debt will be sentenced today.

The pair - Stephen Wood, 35, and Jack Reihana, 43 - appeared in Ipswich District Court on Friday.

They pleaded guilty to a string of offences relating to the incident which took place on January 12, last year.

Crown prosecutor Dzenita Balic told the court the men had tortured their victim for hours by "branding" him with red-hot wires and smashing his hand with a hammer.

Ms Balic said Wood had allegedly been owed money by the victim and so drove to the man's Short St home, accompanied by Reihana, to "teach him a lesson".

When they arrived, Wood and Reihana abducted the 24-year-old man and took him to a property in Purga, where the ordeal continued.

"Once they reached the Purga address, the victim had already been punched a number of times and was bleeding and having difficulties moving his arms," Ms Balic said.


Store's closure is a bad sign for Somerset Dam, say owners

59-year-old hurt in explosion at Flinders View residence

QT's name and shame: This week's drink drivers

The man was grabbed by the hair and had his head smashed into a veranda post.

He was then beaten with a barbecue hot plate.

After that, his hand was bound in cling wrap and struck with a sledge hammer.

The blow fractured his fingers and bent them out of shape.

Reihana then heated a wire and burned the left cheek of the victim, while laughing.

As he administered the form of torture, Reihana was heard to say: "the cows are due for a new brand".

To try and extort some money from his captive, Wood phoned the victim's mother and said "he would send her son to her in pieces if she didn't pay his debt".

The mother, fearful for her son's life, transferred the money.

Once the money was paid, the victim was taken to hospital.

He suffered serious facial injuries and burns to his hands and other parts of his body.

Ms Balic said both the victim and his mother still carried psychological scars from the ordeal.

Defence barrister Geoff Seaholme, who defended Wood, said his client's actions during the time of the offence were "out of character".

Mr Seaholme said Wood, a former Ipswich council worker, was a father of three.

He had also been a member of the Rural Fire Brigade in Peak Crossing.

He said his client had been using amphetamine-type stimulant drugs and had not slept in four days at the time of the incident.

He said Wood was remorseful of his behaviour.

Both men will be sentenced today in Brisbane District Court.

A Purga woman, Yvonne Metzger, 49, is also alleged to have been involved in the incident and is expected to appear in Ipswich District Court today.


1955 Holden FJ stands out at Show 'n' Shine charity cruise

Mayor on Monday: Great initiative on jobs

Topics:  brisbane district court ipswich district court jack reihana kidnap stephen wood torture

Lighthouse Care wants to open in Ipswich

Lighthouse Care founder Debbie Hill said the organisation wants to expand and open a site in Ipswich.

The problem is, they are unable to find a suitable location

Gable Tostee: His own words about that fatal night

Gable Tostee

Gable Tostee talks about the pizza, the recording, and that night

LETTER: Negative energy talk frustrates Ipswich MP

South Australia's black out was triggered by an extreme weather event, not renewable energy, says Ipswich MP Jim Madden.

South Australian black out was triggered by an extreme weather event

Local Partners

Workmates honour crash victim with tribute

UPDATE: Tanya Lyell is being remembered as a young mother dedicated to her family and work as the town she called home mourns its loss.

Community garden set for Palmwoods

Kay Nixon at the Palmwoods Community Gardens will be hosting a launch day and inviting the ecommunity to come along and sign up.

Parcel of land to supply sustainable gardening for community

Things to do this week

Dragon play Ipswich Civic Centre on Friday October 28

What's on in Ipswich

Ipswich unites in march for safe world for kids

The streets turn red in one of the previous Walk for Daniel events.

Bruce and Denise continue movement

Priscilla concerned people will forget about Elvis

Priscilla Presley source Bang

She says she feels responsible to keep his legacy going

Taylor Swift files lawsuit over alleged groping

Taylor Swift source Bang

Swift has commenced legal action against a DJ over the incident

Kanye West threatens to boycott Grammys

West says he won't go to the Grammys if Frank Ocean's not nominated

Why this actress wasn't embarrassed by nude photo leak

Leslie Jones source Bang

'If you wanna see Leslie Jones naked, just ask,' she said

Festival blooms with Jacaranda trees

BLOOMING GOOD: Cr Paul Tully with the Goodna Jacarandas, in bloom ahead of the upcoming Jacaranda Festival.

This year's festival gets under way on Friday

Dad's Army comic genius Jim Perry dies

Jimmy Perry, the creator of Dad's Army.

Dad's Army series captured all that British people savour

Hinterland horse stud passed in for $8.25 million

UNREAL: This Maleny estate is incredible.

12-bedroom hinterland horse stud still available

Hit songwriter's Noosa mansion on market

SPECIAL PLACE: The Cintamani estate is going to tender, marketed by Tom Offermann Real Estate.

Is this Queensland's best property?

Kiwi siblings snap up Dotcom mansion for $32.5m

The new toy company owners of the Coatesville mansion want replace any controversy with positivity and fun. Photo / Barfoot and Thompson

The trio paid $32.5 million for the property in June

New $200 million development will create 580 jobs

Cassie And Josh with baby Alfie and daughter Andee. They have bought at new Lennox Head development Epiq.

Majority of new positions will be given to Northern Rivers locals

Cherrabah's mega resort plans axed

PLANS for a massive development at Cherrabah have been scrapped.

What our mayor thinks of the new draft SEQPlan

The plan to use the innovative technology as part of the new Maroochydore CBD was cemented on site today when Mayor Mark Jamieson and Envac Asia Region president Chun Yong Ha formally signed the contract for the $20 million underground waste collection system.

New plan accommodates Sunshine Coast Council's vision for growth.