Rural

Third death linked to iconic Australian brand of cheese

ANOTHER food-poisoning death has been linked to an iconic Australian cheese company.

The Victorian health department confirmed on Sunday a 68-year-old man who died from listeriosis in January had eaten a contaminated product from the Jindi's Gippsland factory.

A bacteria outbreak in batches of camembert and brie had already been linked two other deaths and a miscarriage and is believed to be responsible for more than 20 cases of listeriosis.

According to Better Health, Listeria bacteria are most likely to infect cheese, raw vegetables, deli meats and some seafood.

Infection is particularly dangerous for pregnant women, people with immune deficiencies and the elderly.

Early symptoms include fever, headache, tiredness, aches and pains.

Jindi, which also produces cheeses for the Coles and Wattle Valley brands, has voluntarily recalled all products manufactured before January 6.

Cheese dated within the affected period should be thrown out or returned to the supermarket for a refund.

For more information phone 1800 680 175.

Topics:  death, food poisoning




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Walker hails JT as the 'great competitor'

ULTIMATE COMPETITOR: Cowboys maestro Johnathan Thurston competes on every play in every game... every year.

The plaudits keep coming thick and fast for JT

Father believes bones discovery could be his son

Darrell Simon (File pic from 2005).

Father of missing man Darrell Simon speaks out after bones discovery

Traffic delays easing after ute fire on motorway

The driver managed to get the ute onto the shoulder of the highway just before exit 31.

Vehicle well alight just before exit 31

Latest deals and offers

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked

Caloundra’s former Centrepoint Buffet site up for sale

FOR SALE: The home of the old Centrepoint Buffet

Restaurant fined for unhygienic practices closed months ago