News

Second family mourning a loved one after 000 breakdown

Colin Gray died a week after the 000 breakdown.
Colin Gray died a week after the 000 breakdown.

A SECOND family is reeling from the death of a loved one after home alert systems across the region failed users during the Australia Day long weekend 000 breakdown.

Yvonne Smith said her father Colin George Gray, 81, had a heart attack at home on January 27 and tried to use his alert button to contact 000.

She said her father called her landline in a panic when the button failed.

"I tried to press the button when I got there but nothing happened," she said.

"I rang 000 and got a voice recording that said 'refer to the White Pages' but no specific number."

Ms Smith said she drove her father to hospital and it was at least an hour between his first attempt to use the button and when he was treated.

X-rays showed Mr Gray had only 20% heart function and he died at home a week later, she said.

Mr Gray is the second known person to die after home alert systems failed over the long weekend.

Fay Craigie, 75, was found unconscious on the floor of her Proserpine home covered in blood, bruises and pressure sores up to 12 hours after she tried to use her system to contact 000.

"If we'd gotten an ambulance there immediately maybe he'd still be alive," Mrs Smith said.

"To make things worse three days after he went to hospital the home alert company called at 4am asking if he'd tried to use the button."

Member for Dawson George Christensen said he was "distressed and disturbed" to hear of the second death.

"I am scheduled to meet with a Telstra representative next Tuesday and I have a long list of questions for them."

A Telstra spokesperson said the company did not want to release any further comments at this time.

The spokesperson previously said the extent and force of the Queensland floods caused "unprecedented damage" to a main fibre-optic cable and back-up cable 100km away.

 

ALARMS NEED TELSTRA

AN OZCARE spokesman has defended his company's lack of service for 24-hour Carelink Medical Alarms during the Telstra 000 breakdown on the Australia Day long weekend.

The spokesman said if Telstra failed, the home alert systems also failed.

"Those devices do rely on communication lines, absolutely, and when people are provided with them they do get provided with information on the need for Telstra lines to be up," he said.

The spokesman said Ozcare staff had spoken to Yvonne Smith, whose father died after attempting to use his alert button, when she returned his Carelink Medical Alarm and felt no need to make any further statements.

The company did not have statistics on how many people tried to use the alarms in Queensland during the Telstra communication breakdown or how many people use the alarms on average each day, he said.

Topics:  death, heart attack, telstra, triple zero




Join the Community.

Get your local news, your way.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

‘There’s no way I’d get into a rehab’ man tells court

Morayfield man fails to make bail as rehab impossible to get into

CCTV led police to accused

COURT: A man allegedly accosted a teenage boy in the Ipswich City Library.

The trial before Judge Alexander Horneman-Wren continues

Council ready to act on bats at Yamanto

FIGHT ON: Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale is taking action on the bats at Yamanto.

Mayor to go it alone against flying fox colony roosts

Latest deals and offers

IBAC Evidence Police Bashing 5

Officers drag the woman back to her cell

In this video the woman drinks water from the toilet.

IBAC Evidence Police Bashing 4

In this video the woman asks for water as the tap in the room is broken

IBAC Evidence Police Bashing 3

In this video police continue their search and male officers are present despite...

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked

Caloundra’s former Centrepoint Buffet site up for sale

FOR SALE: The home of the old Centrepoint Buffet

Restaurant fined for unhygienic practices closed months ago