THE pavement was pristine and the windows glistening after an army of Ipswich schoolchildren gave the CBD the once over with the mop and bucket yesterday.
A couple of busloads of Ipswich Girls' Grammar Year 10 students donned their sports uniforms and braved the chilly morning breeze to get their hands dirty for a good cause - removing a fair film of dirt and grime from the mall and surrounding streets.
The cleaning mission was incorporated into the school's annual community service commitment all grades adhere to, with the aim of picking up a few valuable life lessons too.
Students Sarah Brnada and Lockie Parker said they saw an opportunity to give something back to the community.
"We want to show the whole of Ipswich that we are positive about our community and willing to help where we can," Sarah said.
"Ipswich is a really nice little city and we are proud of it."
The group of 80 girls started at the top of the mall about 9am, picking up rubbish and cleaning smudge marks as they worked their way down the hill.
Other groups branched out into the Top of Town precinct.
Mayor Paul Pisasale said the students represented the majority of local kids who gave the city a good name.
"You hear so much about that 1% of young people that do the wrong thing - well here is the other 99%," Cr Pisasale said.
"Along with education comes the responsibility to your community and to me this is just a great idea.
"It's all about bringing kids and the community closer together."
Ipswich Girls' Grammar deputy principal Rhonda Nolan said other students were involved in programs including feeding the homeless and raising money for the RSPCA.