News

Opera-tion to give new life to oldest pipe organ

ORGAN TRANSPLANT: St Paul’s Anglican Church organ committee chairman Grantley Chaplin and Yamanto opera singer David Hibbard are excited about the restoration of the state’s oldest pipe organ.
ORGAN TRANSPLANT: St Paul’s Anglican Church organ committee chairman Grantley Chaplin and Yamanto opera singer David Hibbard are excited about the restoration of the state’s oldest pipe organ. Claudia Baxter

THE state's oldest pipe organ will be the major beneficiary when Opera Queensland greats perform for Ipswich Festival on May 9.

The organ was built by J.W Walker in London in 1859 and installed at St Paul's Anglican Church in the Ipswich CBD a year later.

Funds raised from the ticket sales to Opera Acoustics, featuring Emily Burke (soprano), Hayley Sugars (mezzo soprano), Phillip Prendergast (tenor), Leon Warnock (baritone), David Hibbard (bass) and Narelle French (piano), will contribute to the $650,000 needed to restore the magnificent instrument to its former glory.

St Paul's Organ Committee chairman Grantley Chaplin said the organ, which is still in use today, would be decommissioned later this year where it would undergo a rebuild by organ builder Simon Pierce, who recently restored the pipe organ at Brisbane City Hall.

It will be shifted to the southern transept of the church, due for completion in 2015.

"The organ introduces a rather unique element into the music life of Ipswich," Mr Chaplin said.

"We were lucky enough to get a major bequest for 85% of the cost from the Jani Haenke Charitable Trust and we are up for the other 15%, which this concert will be a significant fundraiser for the residual funds.

He said the organ would be a significant benefit to the Ipswich community, not only for worship but also as a public facility.

"Once it is restored, we're hoping to host regular recitals, concerts and build up the music participation and culture around the city," Mr Chaplin said.

Tickets are still available to the prestigious Opera Acoustics event at St Paul's Anglican Church on May 9.

Bass soloist David Hibbard, of Yamanto, said the program included an array of opera favourites, including The Lost Chord by Sullivan, a tribute to the restoration of the historic organ.

Other performances featured will be Suoni la Tromba, the magnificent duet from I Puritani (Bellini), the Sextet from Lucia di Lammermoor (Donizetti), and the thrilling Final Trio from Faust (Gounod).

Tickets cost $28 and can be purchased by phoning 3812 2974 or 3812 0377.

Topics:  fundraiser, ipswich festival, opera queensland, pipe organ, st paul's anglican church




Man burned in factory incident

A woman has given birth to twins at a Nambour home overnight, with the babies arriving before paramedics could get there.

Paramedics treat man for burns to face and hands

Boy, 2, drowns in dam at private property

The scene of a drowning in the Lockyer Valley.

Paramedics unable to revive boy after he was found in dam

Shonky shed fines now total $250,000

NOBODY HOME: The former Logan house of Paul DeBruin.

Building watchdog hits hard

Latest deals and offers

Courtney Stodden gets Reborn Doll

Courtney Stodden is trying to get over her recent miscarriage

Kate McKinnon 'destitute' before SNL

Kate McKinnon says she can't do anything but act

FBI investigating Leslie Jones website hack

The FBI are investigating Leslie Jones' personal website hack

Katy Perry: 'I stay normal with therapy'

Katy Perry says she relies on therapy to help her 'stay normal'

World's highest-paid actor revealed

The highest-paid actors in the world have been revealed

Jessica Alba regrets her tattoos

Jessica Alba regrets getting her tattoos

REVEALED: Pat Rafter's $18m Coast house on the market

Check out the photos of the Coast's most expensive property for sale

The "correction we had to have" in Gladstone's rentals

UPWARD MARCH: The rental vacancy rate in Gladstone has improved for the first time in more than a year, providing a confidence boost in the market.

Vacancy rates improve with signs that things are getting betterF

ISLAND FOR SALE: Cheap Fraser Coast island drops price again

Suna Island in the Great Sandy Strait will be auctioned by Ray White Hervey Bay on Saturday morning.

This is the cheapest island you will find for sale in Australia

How a family home can fit on a 250sq m block

This is what you can build on 250m2.

Here's the floor plan of a home built on 250sq m

$100m plan for Curtis Island 'world class' luxury resort

$100 million resort: Top views at Turtle Street at Curtis Island.

"At the moment we think it meets all the town planning approvals.”

Noosa mayor on "red alert" over planning court decision

Mayor Tony Wellington hands down his first budget.

Mayor upset at lack of say about look and feel of Noosa