News

Holland murder probe may take months

Leanne Holland.
Leanne Holland.

QUEENSLAND police say the investigation into the murder of Goodna schoolgirl Leanne Holland has been re-opened, however it may take several months.

Speaking to media this afternoon, Assistant Commissioner Ross Barnett of State Crime Operations Command said Queensland Police were searching for any evidence that may have been missed in the initial investigation.

"Cold case methodology is that you look at all available sources of evidence," he said.

"We are very fortunate in this case that the original house has not been renovated at all. So it's essentially as is at the time of that terrible crime.

"It presents us with a unique opportunity to go back and have another look and see if there are things that were missed originally that we can now capture as a result of the advanced technology."

Assistant Commissioner Barnett said forensic science had improved in the past 20 years and new technology might yield new evidence.

"In terms of DNA and blood we now have the ability to enhance and amplify samples that are in a crime scene and record them effectively, so that's the process we are going through."

Forensic officers yesterday started re-examining the former home of the 12-year-old girl who went missing 19 years ago.

The officers are looking for fresh evidence into who killed Leanne.

Graham Stafford was jailed for life in 1992 for Leanne’s murder, but had his conviction quashed by the Court of Appeal in December.

A police spokeswoman said forensic officers started examining the Alice Street home in Goodna yesterday and would stay for several days.

Queensland Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson announced on May 8 that there would be a review into the investigation, which would include re-interviewing witnesses and forensically re-examining exhibits.

A spokesman for Attorney-General Cameron Dick said he had already stated publicly that he would give full and proper consideration to any formal requests by Mr Stafford.

“No formal requests for compensation have been received to date. These remain matters for Mr Stafford to consider,” the spokesman said.

When Mr Stafford’s conviction was overturned he said he was determined for the case into Leanne’s death to be re-opened.

“I will be pushing for the investigation to be re-opened because someone is out there who is responsible for Leanne’s murder and should be behind bars,” he said.

Listen to audio from the Leanne Holland police media conference:

Read more...

New trial ordered in Holland case

Online pictures of alleged victim

No retrial for Stafford

Stafford to seek compensation




WATCH: Aussie Racing Cars champ rolls six times

Dramatic Aussie Car rollover at Queensland Raceway on Saturday.

Pingel walks away from high-speed crash

How money problems nearly killed hospital

Times Past with QT columnist Beryl Johnston

Latest deals and offers

What's on the small screen this week

MasterChef Australia's final four contestants, from left, Harry Foster, Elena Duggan, Elise Franciskovic and Matt Sinclair.

MASTERCHEF makes way for The Bachelor on Ten's reality TV slate.

Recycling your childhood faves

GHOST GIRL: Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig and Leslie Jones in a scene from Ghostbusters.

Everything that's old is new again

Guy Sebastian a hit at Splendour in the Grass

Guy Sebastian performs at Splendour in the Grass with Paces.

REALITY TV judge a hit with festival crowd.

Superheroes of the big screen enjoy sounds of Splendour

CHRIS Hemsworth and his Avengers mates drop by Byron festival.

Indigenous artist shows tourists secrets of Aboriginal painting

Ever thought "I could do that" about Aboriginal art?

Dynamic pics from Splendour Day 1

The Strokes perform at Splendour in the Grass 2016. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

Check out the latest pictures from Splendour in the Grass.

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles