News

More charges possible for alleged racial attack

POSSIBLE FURTHER CHARGES: Dylan John Slegers was in Ipswich Court yesterday over a incident at Indian Mehfil. The case was adjourned until July 27.
POSSIBLE FURTHER CHARGES: Dylan John Slegers was in Ipswich Court yesterday over a incident at Indian Mehfil. The case was adjourned until July 27. Rob Williams

THE man at the centre of a racially-charged attack at the Indian Mehfil restaurant in the Ipswich CBD may face more charges.

Dylan John Slegers, 22, appeared in the Ipswich Magistrates Court yesterday facing a single charge of public nuisance.

Police prosecutor senior sergeant Kevin Carmont asked Magistrate Andrew Cridland for the matter to be adjourned as police were continuing to investigate the incident.

He said more charges may be laid against Mr Slegers in the coming week and a lengthy amount of court time may need to be set aside as video evidence would be played.

Mr Slegers has been accused of launching a racially charged attack on the family of Raj Sharma, owner of Indian Mehfil, as well as staff at the restaurant last month.

WHAT'S ONLINE TODAY

Support flows for family facing baby's brain tumour ordeal

The clock is ticking for little Khye

Judge excludes blog countering Baden-Clay testimony

Rapist expects to die in jail

Mr Sharma has alleged his children were racially abused by a man, who police say was Mr Slegers, who then entered the restaurant and yelled abuse at people inside.

After being repeatedly asked to leave the store it's alleged he only left when escorted out by another.

However, on his way out police say he grabbed a chair from one of the outside dining tables and threw it back at the people standing inside the door, narrowly missing them.

The incident caused an outrage within the Ipswich community, over an allegedly racist attack.

The court heard Mr Slegers' bail would be extended.

As conditions of his bail he was banned from approaching the complainants, the Indian Mehfil restaurant or d'Arcy Doyle Place in the Ipswich CBD.

The matter was adjourned until Tuesday, July 29.

Topics:  ipswich magistrates court, mehfil indian restaurant, public nuisance, racial abuse




Federal Government cracks down on welfare fraud

CENTRELINK MEDICARE: Centrelink building in Woongarra St Bundaberg. Photo: Mike Knott / NewsMail

Ipswich received more than $2.3m in overpayments since January

‘How do you like the taste of my piss you dogs’

Ipswich Police Station and Courthouse. Photo: David Nielsen / The Queensland Times

He saved his urine up in a milk carton.

Boys verse girls in epic school showdown

Ipswich Girls Grammar School Vs Ipswich Grammar School prefect netball match at IGGS (boys vs girls). IGGS player Shannon Trigger dominates her opponent.

TENSIONS were high at Ipswich Girls Grammar School.

Latest deals and offers

Vintaea: Why I left The Bachelor on the first night

Vintaea Carlos was one of 22 "bachelorettes" looking for love on the fourth season of The Bachelor.

Queensland beauty leaves Richie at rose ceremony.

Amber Heard claims Johnny Depp is stalling divorce

Amber Heard claims Johnny Depp is delaying their divorce

Your guide to a great night out in Ipswich

Wild Cherries band

Your guide to a great night out in Ipswich

The Bachelor host: this year's season is a cracker

The Bachelor host Osher Gunsberg.

GUNSBERG says tonight will be "the best night of TV of the year".

Kerri-Anne Kennerley to Sonia Kruger: "Stay brave"

She said her television peer should "stay brave"

Swimwear designer looking for love on The Bachelor

Noni Janur on her first day of filming.

The 25-year-old is one of 22 women vying for Richie Strahan’s heart

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley