News

"Trio of deception" give testimony against accused: Lawyer

FIRE AFTERMATH: The mobile dental van destroyed in a fire at Gatton State School.
FIRE AFTERMATH: The mobile dental van destroyed in a fire at Gatton State School. Photo Tom Threadingham Gatton

THREE convicted arsonists, who have testified against an alleged fourth co-offender, have been dubbed the "trio of deception" by a defence lawyer.

The trial of Zachary Dean Clark, 19, entered its second day yesterday.

Clark has pleaded not guilty to two counts of arson, and two counts of wilful damage which occurred during what Crown prosecutor Matthew Le Grand dubbed a night of "alcohol-fuelled destruction".

He has been accused of being a party to a fire, lit by co-offender Corey Andrew McCutcheon, inside a dental van at the Gatton State School, which spread to nearby classrooms on the night of October 30, 2012.

Mr Le Grand has alleged Clark encouraged and supported McCutcheon, BJ Alan Denton and Christopher Bernard Walker in the commission of the arsons and the damage of two cars, one before the fires at Gatton McDonald's and one outside the fire station.

However, under cross-examination by defence lawyer Peter Sloane, Denton, Walker and McCutcheon all admitted to lying in statements to police.

Mr Sloane said this showed the evidence of the three was unreliable.

"They're the trio of deception this lot," he said.

However, Mr Le Grand said Clark, who has pleaded guilty to breaking into the school block and the dental van, and the wilful damage of a railway boom gate after the offences, was "up to his neck" in offending with the others on the night.

"Before they've lit the fire he's repeatedly shown dedication to the group," Mr Le Grand said.

He pointed to the burglaries Clark had admitted to, stating the arsons "didn't happen in a vacuum".

Denton told the court on Tuesday, he and Clark had sprayed a fire extinguisher for "no purpose".

He then contradicted himself to Mr Sloane saying he and Clark had been attempting to put the fire out.

The court yesterday heard from a Toowoomba-based police officer, who had been working at Gatton at the time, who found the extinguisher at a nearby undercover area where it had been "let off".

Mr Le Grand said the extinguisher powder in the undercover area was evidence Clark and Denton were "playing around" with it, and not making a concerted effort to put the fire out.

However, Mr Sloane submitted to the jury the inconsistencies in Denton's testimony meant much of his evidence against Clark should be disregarded.

Judge Deborah Richards is expected to finish summing up tomorrow before the jury retires to consider its verdict.

Topics:  arson




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'I just thought all mums got no sleep'

MELTOPIA battled PND with all four of her children.

4 survival tips for mummas heading back to work

The few reminders every working mum needs to read.

'I apologise every day that I am not the person he married'

My battle with postnatal depression...

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

Breaking: Ninth case of black lung is confirmed

Section of a coal worker's lung showing black lung disease with progressive massive fibrosis.Contributed

A 62-year-old underground miner has been diagnosed with black lung.

Roar training adds to Joe’s NPL quality

Western Pride footballer Joe Duckworth.

Duckworth thrives on extra work

Latest deals and offers

Arts and culture get a boost in council budget

HAPPY CAMPER: Council’s culture boss Cr Charlie Pisasale will be delighted $400,000 has been allocated for a business case investigation for IPAC.

IPAC at the forefront of councillor's agenda

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four