News

Man who raped, killed woman fails in bid for parole review

A DARLING Downs man who murdered and raped a woman almost three decades ago has lost his bid for release.

James Patrick McGrane, now 44, sought a new judicial review of his life sentence this year, having become eligible for parole in 1999 and been unsuccessful in multiple applications for release.

McGrane was 17 when he dumped the body of a 21-year-old woman at Hodgson Vale, south of Toowoomba, on March 26, 1986.

He pleaded not guilty but the court heard at his trial he had led the woman up stairs above a shop, bound and gagged her before raping her and then stabbing her to death.

The sentencing judge described the offences as "horrific".

Justice David Boddice dismissed the application for a parole review in Brisbane Supreme Court on Thursday.

He said the court received information McGrane had extensive breach and incident history during his incarceration including wilful damage, assault and abusive language.

The Queensland State Parole Board had already deemed him an unacceptable risk to the community if released on parole, that he was a concern even in a highly structured environment like jail.

"He has a negative view towards authority and has not yet been able to make the emotional steps of changing from an adolescent, with lots of fantasises and hopes, to a man fully capable of living in the real world with all its frustrations without feeling a sense of resentment by brooding and hostile fantasies," a parole board report said.

"I would see his risk remain as moderately high of committing serious violent crime or sexual abuse in the future but that he is moving towards building some protective factors," it continued.

A psychologist's report also noted McGrane remained "vulnerable to impulsive verbal and physical aggression".

McGrane argued he had performed better in custody in recent times and the parole board had failed to consider the "significant steps" he had taken since his previous refusal.

He said the board had exercised its discretionary power "in bad faith".

But Justice Boddice said McGrane did not establish either ground for review.

Topics:  darling downs, toowoomba




Man accused of indecently assaulting health worker

A view of the Ipswich Hospital from the corner of East and Court Street. Photo: David Nielsen / The Queensland Times

It's alleged the attacker threatened the woman with a knife

Six injured in three car pile up

Paramedics on scene of peak-hour multi-vehicle prang

Woolworths latest: Uncertainty hangs over Ipswich site

NSW and Victoria to be hit by retrenchments

Latest deals and offers

Tom Hiddleston not worried about relationship attention

Attention doesn't bother 'authentic' Hiddleston

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field to expand family?

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field want more children.

Licking incident bars Ariana from performing at White House

Ariana Grande has been blocked from performing at the White House

Taylor Swift's ex throws support behind Kanye West

Calvin Harris shares a sing-along with Kanye West

Michael Jackson's jailed doctor wants his license back

Conrad Murray wants his medical licence back.

Pokemon Go: "Trading" on the horizon as game evolves

No Caption

Pokemon GO players will soon be able to trade with other trainers

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles