UPDATE 5.55PM: Severe thunderstorms are no longer threatening the Sunshine Coast.
Firefighters earlier on urged Sunshine Coast residents to report fires from lightning strikes as severe thunderstorms develop out west.
The Bureau of Meteorology had warned severe thunderstorms for damaging winds and large hailstones were developing near the area south of Kingaroy and the area north of Crows Nest.
There have already been reports lightening strikes have sparked vegetation fires.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.