News

Family escapes second house blaze in a year

DISASTER NO 2: Fire damage to the property on Jane St in Leichhardt (above and inset); The QT from Boxing Day 2011 (below).
DISASTER NO 2: Fire damage to the property on Jane St in Leichhardt (above and inset); The QT from Boxing Day 2011 (below).
Claudia Baxter

AN IPSWICH family has escaped unharmed after enduring its second house fire in just over a year on Monday.

On Monday Leichhardt resident John Paton's home in Jane St burnt after his two-year-old grandson set a mattress on fire while playing with a lighter just after 7am.

Mr Paton watched in disbelief as he suffered the same experience as he did at his Larson St home on Christmas Eve 2011.

On Monday they again lost a significant amount of clothing and furniture in a blaze.

Mr Paton was making breakfast for his grandchildren when the smell of smoke filled his house just after 7am.

He heard the smoke alarm go off and soon fire was spreading throughout the house.

The blaze caused extensive damage to one bedroom, with smoke and water damage throughout the home.

Queensland Fire and Rescue Crews contained the fire to the bedroom.

Mr Paton his daughter and grandchildren all escaped from the burning home.

"I was awake to give the young ones a bottle and then I heard the fire alarm go off and could see the flames run up," he said.

I was awake to give the young ones a bottle and then I heard the fire alarm go off and could see the flames run up.

Neighbours reported seeing thick black smoke billowing from the home.

Mr Paton tried to fight the fire but his efforts proved futile.

He smashed a bedroom window and put the hose through in an attempt to douse the flames.

But he said he was thankful that all of his family members escaped without injury.

"The little fella that started it was in a bit of a daze," he said.

Ipswich acting station officer Mick Glasby said the fire was a timely reminder for parents to keep lighters out of reach of children.

If anyone has clothes to donate to Mr Paton's family, please contact him on 0405 113 954.

  • A SOUTH Ripley home was damaged in a fire on Saturday night. Fire crews arrived at Watsons Rd at 6.45pm and had the fire extinguished just over an hour later. No one was injured during the incident.

Topics:  house fire, leichhardt




Join the Community.

Get your local news, your way.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Milton puts people of Oxley electorate first on the list

Candidate for the seat of Oxley in the upcoming federal election Milton Dick.

Labor values of candidate’s parents stay with their son

Waterless shower helps Year 7 students win science award

WATERWISE: The Bremer State High School Year 7 science extension program students won a prize in the Green Heart Schools Future BNE Challenge as part of the World Science Festival in Brisbane.

Science extension class beats 39 other classes

Travel: Airing your dirty laundry in Venice

Open-air laundry ... it’s a familiar site in Venice.

I'm currently reading The Politics of Washing: Real Life in Venice

Latest deals and offers

Man thanks colleagues for saving his life after forklift incident

Bruce O'Grady returned to his Wulkuraka workplace on Thursday to thank his workmates that saved his life after a workplace accident in January. (clockwise from left) Trent Court, Chris Aiken, Dale Ward and Scott Blackwell.

Ipswich paramedics have praised the workplace health and safety focus of a local...

RACQ releases SE Qld's worst choke points

Paul Turner, RACQ

Paul Turner from RACQ talks about our worst roads at peak time.

British family bashed in Thailand

Family beaten and kicked unconscious by gang in Thailand.

Family beaten and kicked unconscious by gang in Thailand.

Demand for acreage lots pushes up property prices

Property values in Cooroy have increased 25%

Property values jump in Cooroy and Peachester.

How a sacked real estate agent made $725k in four months

Agent is now under investigation by the industry watchdog

RBA warns of future apartment oversupply

Toowoomba: Crest Apartments and Burke & Wills, Ruthven Street ( view from Neil Street) Photo Bev Lacey / The Chronicle

RBA says oversupply of apartments poses risk to household finances