Sport

Johnson takes swipe at selectors over bowler rotation

Mitchell Johnson.
Mitchell Johnson. Wikimedia/RaeA

LEFT-ARM quick Mitchell Johnson has taken a subtle swipe at the national selectors, questioning their controversial fast-bowler rotation policy.

Fellow left-arm seamer Mitchell Starc is reported to be next in line to be rested from the Boxing Day Test against Sri Lanka at the MCG.

Tasmania's in-form Jackson Bird is apparently set to replace Starc and make his Australia debut, and there is no denying his form would warrant an opportunity.

The 26-year-old, originally from Sydney, has taken 87 first-class wickets at a remarkable 19.72 in 17 matches.

But Starc would have every right to feel disappointed if he was left out after snaring 5-63 in Sri Lanka's second innings, helping the Aussies win the first Test in Hobart by 137 runs.

The 22-year-old bowled a total of 52.2 overs in what was his second straight game, an effort which is now regarded as a heavy workload by Cricket Australia's team performance unit.

Ben Hilfenhaus suffered a side strain in that same match, taking Australia's injured list of fast bowlers to seven.

Johnson is set to come in as his replacement, but the West Australian quick said the national selectors should not show too much caution.

"If you're fit to play, you should be playing, and your best 11 should be playing," Johnson said.

"It's obviously a hard one, but as a bowler, personally I don't want to rest in a Test match.

"Test matches are the pinnacle, especially a Boxing Day Test. You don't want to rest if you don't need to rest."

Starc is of the same opinion, saying after arriving at Melbourne Airport on Saturday that he would never put his hand up for a rest.

Meanwhile, Australian skipper Michael Clarke was yesterday rated only a 50/50 chance to play by the chairman of selectors, John Inverarity.Clarke injured his hamstring while batting in the first Test against Sri Lanka.

Inverarity talked up the MCG wicket as being a very good one to bat on, with the Australians confident they would be able to handle the spin of Rangana Herath who took 5-95 in the second innings in Hobart.

"He got five wickets, but went for a few runs," Australian opening batsman Ed Cowan said.

"A lot of his wickets were guys chasing runs quickly in that second innings.

"He's a world-class bowler - I think he's second on the list for wicket-takers in the year, but we saw last year against (Indian spinner) Ravi Ashwin he looked pretty ineffective against some of our batters."

Topics:  bowling, mitchell johnson




Cousin's sexual assault: Puberty 'not an excuse'

Ipswich Police Station and Courthouse. Photo: David Nielsen / The Queensland Times

He told the girls "not to tell anyone or he would hurt them”

City wakes to cool change, here's why

Back to minimums of between 7-9 degrees through the working week

Longterm future promising for high octane celebration

CHAMPION: Craig Lowndes celebrates another victory at the Ipswich SuperSprint, amid optimism about the event’s future.

Supercar future in Ipswich yet to be decided but the signs are good

Latest deals and offers

Matilda The Musical's clean sweep at Helpmann Awards

A scene from Matilda The Musical.

TIM Minchin-scored production enjoys record awards haul.

Harry's MasterChef exit makes way for all-Noosa grand final

Harry Foster congratulates MasterChef finalists Elena Duggan and Matt Sinclair after a closely-fought semi-final.

YOUNG Rocky-born cook now working in his dream job in Tasmania.

Kim Kardashian West bemused by selfie 'drama'

Kim didn't expect her naked selfie to cause the stir it did

Alicia Vikander hasn't been home since Oscars

Alicia Vikander "hasn't been home" for nearly nine months.

Tom Hiddleston not worried about relationship attention

Attention doesn't bother 'authentic' Hiddleston

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field to expand family?

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field want more children.

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley