News

Council takes dog owner to court over backyard attack

Bruce the bull mastiff.
Bruce the bull mastiff. Contributed

OWNERS of Bruce the bull mastiff have been handed a further setback with Ipswich City Council prosecuting them over an attack that happened in their own backyard.

The Denmark Hill owners Kev and Chris Thomas faced the council in court on Friday to appeal the destruction order on their dog. The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) case has been adjourned for a fortnight.

Now they will front Ipswich Magistrates Court on Monday to face charges under the Animal Management Act for offences which attract maximum penalties totalling more than $14,000.

A council spokesman said under the Act the owner must ensure a dog does not attack and cause fear (attracting a maximum penalty of $5692) and the owner of a dangerous dog must ensure each permit condition imposed is complied with for the dog (maximum penalty $8538).

The dog has been impounded since council officers seized it in August after it bit a meter reader who walked past four warning signs and two gates to access the electricity meter in the backyard.

Energex has previously confirmed to The QT that the property was logged as housing a dangerous dog and the meter reader had not given the owners advance warning of the visit.

The Thomas family has set up a Facebook page, Save Bruce, which has attracted more than 6200 followers supporting their case to have their pet returned.

They were granted a stay on the destruction order, originally set for October 16, pending the QCAT hearing.

Bruce was originally declared dangerous by the council in 2010 after he bit a council animal management officer on the hand while he was inspecting fencing at the property.

The officer was acting on a complaint of a roaming dog after Bruce escaped.

As reported earlier in The QT owners said Bruce had not escaped from the property since and have two series of fences and eight signs displayed warning of a dangerous dog on the property.

Topics:  dog attacks, ipswich city council




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Having battled PND four times, Mel says the secret is sleep

'I just thought, don’t all mothers get no sleep?’

'My husband lasted 6 weeks as a stay at home dad'

APN Hey Mummy Feature for online - stock images. Katie Dykes being interviewed for the webisodes. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

FROM the outside, being a stay at home mum looks like a breeze.

THE EXPERT: Stop judging working mothers

SUPER MUMS: Being a working mums comes down to perfecting time management.

"WORKING for money is all right; so is working because you want to.”

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

Hip hop's Sentry to star in Ipswich tonight

Seth Sentry

Seth Sentry is coming to town

Sentimental find by police, is this yours?

The letter (pictured), along with other property of sentimental value was located on June 24 in a vehicle in North Ipswich.

Property in a vehicle in North Ipswich on June 24

Latest deals and offers

Clive Palmer to re-open refinery

Clive Palmer on ABC radio.

Clive Palmer talks about his achievements, election chances and re-opening the...

Dr Ian MacDonald

Dr Ian MacDonald gets the all clear to retire from Brassall Medical Clinic staff Larissa Meldrum and Linda Davey.

Dr Ian MacDonald

Vox Pop: Council's rate increase

Mayor Paul Pisasale.

Members of the public speak out on Ipswich City Council's rate increase.

Arts and culture get a boost in council budget

HAPPY CAMPER: Council’s culture boss Cr Charlie Pisasale will be delighted $400,000 has been allocated for a business case investigation for IPAC.

IPAC at the forefront of councillor's agenda

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four