News

Hunger striker transferred to Australia 'temporarily'

AN asylum seeker who has been on a hunger strike for almost 50 days has been transferred to Australia to undergo urgent medical attention.

There were reports earlier this week of the man, who is believed to be Iranian, being hospitalised in Nauru, prompting Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young to call on Immigration Minister Chris Bowen to intervene.

The Department of Immigration confirmed after 5pm on Friday that the man had been transferred to Australia "temporarily" because his condition had deteriorated to a point where he could not be treated on Nauru.

A department spokesman would not provide further details about whether the man had ingested any food or specifics about his medical condition.

The decision was based on a recommendation by the department's health services provider, International Health and Medical Services.

As soon as he is deemed fit to travel the man will be returned to the processing centre on Nauru.

Meanwhile, a second group of asylum seekers, including 12 children, has been transferred to the regional processing centre on Manus Island.

The department said the transfer was made up entirely of eight families from Sri Lanka and Iran and included 16 adults and the children.

They arrived in Papua New Guinea early on Friday.

The selection of this group was based on "operational considerations and an assessment of their particular circumstances", the department said.

Topics:  hunger strike, manus island, nauru




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Sister wants new inquest into Sharron Phillips case

Sharron Phillips vanished in 1986.

Sharron Phillips vanished in 1986 after her car ran out of petrol

Work starts on $85m makeover for former school site

COMMUNITY HUB: An impression of what the residential and shopping complex at Silkstone will look like.

CONSTRUCTION has started on an $85 million development at Silkstone.

Man faces court over attempted stabbing of parents

63-year-old man and 67-year-old woman taken to hospital

Latest deals and offers

Silkstone development begins

An artist impression of what the shopping and housing complex at Silkstone will look like once it's completed in 2017.

By the end of next year, the former Bremer State High School site will become home...

I love Inala

Residents of Inala don't want SBS's Struggle Street to be filmed in their suburb as they feel it will be portrayed negatively and they are proud of their community.

Residents are standing in unity to tell us why they love Inala.

The 2016 Boonah Show

A peek at the fun on offer at this years Boonah Show.

Own Sunshine Coast property? You’re about to make money

UP AND UP: Property owners are likely to win from rent and price increases but tenants and first home buyers might not be so happy. Photo: Brett Wortman / Sunshine Coast Daily

Good new for property owners, not so good for buyers and tenants.

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked