News

Drowning victim's grave desecrated

STONE DEFACED: Hannah Plint
STONE DEFACED: Hannah Plint

GRIEVING Laidley parents Andrew and Kat Plint already deal with trolls attacking them through the internet on a weekly basis, but now they are outraged their daughter's grave has been desecrated this week for the fourth time for no reason.

They do not have a plaque on the headstone, which has a blank sandstone marker with "purple rainbow" through it, because people with issues against the foundation set up in Hannah's name have already targeted her final resting place three times previously.

But Katherine Plint said this attack was random, resulting in more than 100 chips and scratches to the smooth sandstone, broken solar lights and missing mementos.

She said a stone mason suggested it might be cheaper to replace than repair.

Hannah was almost three when she died in her backyard pool five years ago.

Her parents have set up Hannah's Foundation to raise awareness about drowning prevention, aid coroner inquests into such deaths and give families someone to turn to when drowning strikes them.

Hannah's grave at Laidley cemetery was among 17 damaged during a rampage on Tuesday morning.

A 39-year-old Regency Downs woman has been charged with wilful damage and public nuisance.

She will appear in Gatton Magistrates Court on January 7.

"The other graves are just tragic too as we know they belong to the elderly.

"Trashing someone's grave, I can't fathom that. If you're angry at the world, smash your own house up," Mrs Plint said.

"I understand this woman had a mental illness, but you still know right from wrong.

"Grave trashing should have a mandatory sentence."

When it comes to trolls, they regularly deal with horrible emails, often from the same people. Most recently she received one suggesting "the best solution would be to push for a very lengthy gaol term for any parent or carer whose child drowns".

Mrs Plint responded with a lengthy email asking the person to read the foundation's campaign stressing supervision, among many other messages.

"I feel sorry for people such as you who wish to torment parents of a child who died through what police and coroners describe as tragic accidents," she said.

Topics:  drowning, gatton magistrates court, public nuisance, wilful damage




Man accused of indecently assaulting health worker

A view of the Ipswich Hospital from the corner of East and Court Street. Photo: David Nielsen / The Queensland Times

It's alleged the attacker threatened the woman with a knife

Woolworths latest: Uncertainty hangs over Ipswich site

NSW and Victoria to be hit by retrenchments

UPDATE: Dramatic in-car footage as Raceway car goes airborne

Dramatic Aussie Car rollover at Queensland Raceway on Saturday.

In-car footage shows dramatic high-speed crash

Latest deals and offers

Harry's MasterChef exit makes way for all-Noosa grand final

Harry Foster congratulates MasterChef finalists Elena Duggan and Matt Sinclair after a closely-fought semi-final.

YOUNG Rocky-born cook now working in his dream job in Tasmania.

Kim Kardashian West bemused by selfie 'drama'

Kim didn't expect her naked selfie to cause the stir it did

Alicia Vikander hasn't been home since Oscars

Alicia Vikander "hasn't been home" for nearly nine months.

Tom Hiddleston not worried about relationship attention

Attention doesn't bother 'authentic' Hiddleston

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field to expand family?

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field want more children.

Licking incident bars Ariana from performing at White House

Ariana Grande has been blocked from performing at the White House

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles