THE Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:25pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Grantham and Helidon.
They are forecast to affect Murphy's Creek, Hampton, Crows Nest and the area west of Toogoolawah by 4:55pm and the area between Crows Nest and Cooyar and the area north of Crows Nest by 5:25pm.
Damaging winds and large hailstones are likely. 4cm hail has been observed at Laidley at 2:45pm.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Central West, Wide Bay and Burnett, Darling Downs and Granite Belt and Southeast Coast districts.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.