News

Funerals begin for young Newtown victims

NOAH Pozner and Jack Pinto should have been returning to Sandy Hook Elementary School on Monday.

Instead, a grieving Newtown - still in shock following Friday's massacre - bade farewell to the six-year-olds at their funerals, the first since Adam Lanza extinguished 26 lives, including 18 of Noah's and Jack's classmates, in a 10-minute hail of gunfire.

Mourners at Jack's funeral, held at 1pm, the same time as his classmate's in nearby Fairfield, began arriving at the Honan Funeral Home in Newtown's historic district in the morning.

Flags that usually flutter from poles at either end of the tranquil stretch of Main Street where Jack's service took place were at half-mast as those who knew the boy, and many who did not, gathered amid the picture-perfect colonial-era buildings.

Long before the service was due to begin, the pavement outside Sabah Qureshi's yolk-coloured house was lined with television cameras trained on the funeral home across the street.

Ms Qureshi has young children of her own.

Yesterday, as she stood outside her door, looking on at the people coming in and out of the funeral home before the service, a man came up to her to ask where he might find the Newtown cemetery.

Why? Because, he said, he had heard they needed help with digging graves.

"It's terrible," she said.

"I didn't know the gunman or his mother, but I know where they lived, I know the school. I keep thinking about how he would have shot her and then got in her car.

"And because I know the roads, I know what route he would have taken."

For many local people, it was another day when outsiders insisted on intruding, as the tragedy continued to draw interest from across the country - and the world.

As Ms Qureshi spoke, a man driving down Main Street lowered his windows and, turning in the direction of the cameras, shouted: "Go home."

Meanwhile, in Fairfield, Connecticut governor Dan Malloy was among the mourners arriving for Noah Pozner's funeral service. Noah was the youngest of the Sandy Hook victims, having turned six barely a month ago.

His sister, Arielle, was in another classroom, and survived Lanza's attack.

Although classes across the district were set to resume today, Sandy Hook Elementary will remain closed.

As some children return to class, others will continue to be remembered today, with a noon service scheduled for another six-year-old Sandy Hook victim, Jessica Rekos, at the St Rose of Lima Church in Newtown.

 

Topics:  editors picks, mass shooting, sandy hook elementary school, school shooting



QT’s name and shame: This week’s drink and drug drivers

Senior Constable Simon Cook with the RBT bus at Tweed Police Station Photo Blainey Woodham / Daily News

This week's convicted drink and drug drivers

More than 9000 Queensland kids in foster care

The Department of Communities and Child Safety suspended or cancelled the permits of 30 carers last year while it substantiated 144 cases of harm to children.

30 foster carers banned as 144 cases of harm to children revealed.

Strike to cause stoppages at airports, cruise ships

Extensive rolling stoppages to start today

Local Partners

Angelina turns to Depp for consolation after divorce

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie with their six children

Angelina Jolie is reportedly being consoled by Johnny Depp

Rockhampton dancer en pointe for European stages

CENTRE STAGE: Anastasia Lewis has moved from Rockhampton to Sydney to study classical ballet.

Rocky dancer believes competitions are the perfect preparation

Conner's food distraction leads to elimination

Australian Survivor contestant Conner Bethune.

HUNGER gets to castaway as Australian Survivor's tribes merge.

Bonus point gets Dan and Carleen over the line on The Block

Dan and Carleen in their winning living and dining rooms in a scene from The Block.

BABY boomers win living and dining week as show hits halfway mark.

Olivia Wilde having a girl

Olivia Wilde revealed she is expecting a baby girl.

Michael Palin: Terry Jones dementia is 'painful' to see

Michael Palin has found Terry Jones' decline "painful to watch"

Housing report points to a lift in local market

AFFORDABLE HOMES: First home buyers have the opportunity to purchase modern new homes in the Ipswich region for under $400,000.

Region shaping up as the "final frontier” for affordable housing

Five ways to slash household bills and save the environment

THINK GREEN: Considering the environment when building or buying your next home can save you big dollars. The Village Building Company, who is responsible for Woodlinks Village at Collingwood Park, builds homes with this front of mind.

THERE is nothing as sweet as slashing dollars from your bills.

Investors out-bid first-home buyers in booming market

Housing generic.

Ipswich's housing market is putting more cash into sellers’ pockets

Another Ripley development

THE ENTRANCE: An overview of the last planned development for the fast growing Ripley area.

85 more home lots released

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'