ONE man who re-visited Ipswich in 1885 and later wrote about the firm of Messrs Cribb & Foote stated: "This firm is well known to all old colonists, not only here but throughout Australasia.
"Their original store, built of wood was only a small place in Bell Street with a dwelling house attached to it and was opened in 1849.
"In 1864 brick premises of two stories were built at the cnr of Brisbane and Bell Streets. This had a frontage to Bell Street of 130ft and 66ft to Brisbane Street.
"The building is undoubtedly the best in town as regards the architecture, size and the convenience provided for the transaction of business. Architect was Mr F D G Stanley."
The writer continues: "Good light is obtained from the lofty windows in front and by means of large oval well holes in each shop, over which a 'lantern' is built which adds more light and which also assists in the ventilation of the whole building.
"I think the plate glass windows are the largest I have ever seen and the goods are displayed to the very best advantage.
"One portion of the building is a detached brick store running out into Nicholas Street which makes the whole length of the property at the rear of Brisbane Street, 264ft."
FIFTY Light Horse officers and men who settled in at the Ipswich Showgrounds on October 3, 1939, had a foretaste of the life and intense activity that was to be expected in coming days.
Five hundred and seventy members of various squadrons and an equal number of horses poured into the showgrounds to begin a month's hard training.
The first 10 days were to be spent in intensive training of recruits; the remainder of the period was to be occupied with more advanced phases of Light Horse operations.
Commanding officer was Major A E G Campbell DSO, MC, Adjutant - Capt E B Serisier (Staff Corps) assisted by Lieutenant F A Woods and the squadrons were to be led by: Headquarters - Cpt A J Hoff; A Squadron - Cpt R Stewart; B Squadron - Major T J Ford and C Squadron - Cpt E B Miller.
Quartermaster was Lieutenant H Stone, the RSM - W/O R Coppin and the RQMA - W/O H Shannon.
Provisions were to be made for the entertainment of the men, as a move was made in the city to provide them with a recreation room equipped with a radio and piano.
ONE of the requirements listed for tender in the "Contracts for the Colonial Service" issued by His Excellency's Command R R Mackenzie on 26 January, 1860, was: "The rations to prisoners on Public Works in all parts of Queensland towards men in the gaol, to prisoners detained as witnesses or for want of bail and to others in the employment of Colonial Department when authorised to receive it: 20ozs wheat bread, 8 ozs maize meal, 16ozs fresh meat, ½ oz salt, 1oz sugar and ½ oz of soap."
This ration is occasionally issued at watch houses to prisoners of the Crown when travelling from on station to another and in other cases when sanctioned by a Magistrate.
A REPORT from January 1927 stated "Today conditions at Ipswich returned to normal after the retirement of the flood water. The old flood pumps at the Kholo Station were above water so replacement of valves could be done. The washout at the Mt Crosby weir resulted in a hole 100ft wide and 20ft deep which extended from the banks to the new bridge at the end of the weir.
The full extent of the damage at the waterworks will not be known until flood waters recede.
THERE have been many outstanding people who contributed to the growth of Ipswich in earlier days. To name just a few:
Benjamin Joseph Backhouse: an architect and surveyor who designed the alterations to the Wesleyan (Uniting) Church in Ellenborough Street and designed the Ipswich Grammar School.
Pearson Welsby Cameron: elected the first mayor of Greater Ipswich on March 16, 1917.
Dr Henry Challinor: a surgeon who came to Australia on Dr Lang's immigrant ship "Fortitude" in 1849. He also served as the first chairman of Trustees of the Ipswich Grammar School and was a Member of Parliament.
James Gulland: colliery proprietor of the old Tivoli Pit and the New Chum mine. He established the hamlet of New Chum for his mines.
Arthur Macalister: a member of the Legislative Assembly and Premier and the first solicitor in Ipswich.
ACCIDENTS to people's hands when employed at sawmills and mines in 1935 were cause for concern.
Douglas Jones' left hand was caught in a moving circular saw which severed his 2nd finger and injured the other fingers. He was working at Krugers Sawmills.
Clifford Fowler (14) employed as a "pit boy" at the Parklands Colliery was injured when the "small finger of his left hand was caught under a truck".
David Bertram suffered a lacerated wound on the 4th finger of his left hand when it was caught between a shaft and the roof at the Hillside Colliery.
Each of the employees was taken to the General Hospital and all were allowed to return to their respective homes.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.