FFA launches new semi-pro league to boost sport's profile

FFA CEO David Gallop addresses the media during a FFA press conference to unveil the National Premier League logo at on February 13, 2013 in Sydney, Australia.
FFA CEO David Gallop addresses the media during a FFA press conference to unveil the National Premier League logo at on February 13, 2013 in Sydney, Australia. Brendon Thorne / Getty Images

IN A huge boost for grassroots football across the country Football Federation Australia has announced the launch of the National Premier Leagues for semi-professional state-based competitions.

FFA chief executive David Gallop announced the changes yesterday and said the introduction of the NPL model was a "landmark in the development of Australian football".

Each state and territory will still run their NPL competition but the winter season will culminate in a national playoff.

"The semi-pro state league clubs have long been the engine room of Australia's player development system and have always provided a local focus of football passion across the nation," Gallop said yesterday.

"Today's launch of the National Premier Leagues model gives the state-based competitions the status and organisational structure they deserve.

"This model is the product of National Competitions Review, a hugely important piece of policy development over the past two years.

"I commend our Member Federations, the constituent clubs and the FFA staff for their commitment to the cause. This work will shape football across the nation for years to come."

Some 70 clubs across Queensland, NSW, South Australia, ACT and Tasmania will implement changes this year, while Victoria, Northern NSW and Western Australia propose to roll out the NCR changes in 2014.

The Northern Territory will adopt a partial model.

"The NCR is a key outcome of our strategic plan which has the objective to better connect community football to the professional tier," Gallop said.

"The National Premier Leagues model is a vital conduit from the grassroots to the Hyundai A-League. The strategy is sound, but now all parties need to redouble their efforts to ensure the implementation brings the desired results.

"In short, our aim is to see highly qualified coaches employed by stable and well-run NPL clubs producing better Australian players from under-12 to under-18, then under-20s and finally to senior ranks."

Gallop also said there could be relegation and promotion into the A-League within five years and he also re-affirmed the FFA's commitement to the FFA Cup.

Gallop said it was a "matter of when, not if" but said it was still not feasible to kick it off in the short-term.

The FFA had previously mooted a possible launch this year for the competition but decided to wait until after the new TV deal announcement.

Gallop admitted it was still too soon for a new competition, but acknowledged the overwhelming support the idea had received in the football community.

Topics:  david gallop ffa football national premier league npl soccer

Star Jets player turned drug addict found with loaded gun

Jets Rookie of the year turned druggy seeks new life

Murderer used Beerburrum forest as dumping ground

Deceased woman Tia Landers. Her accused murderers have been sentenced to life imprisonment.

Landers wasn't the first person Harris buried in Beerburrum forest

More jobs created by Ipswich investment worth millions

The company has invested $4 million in Ipswich

Local Partners

Workmates honour crash victim with tribute

UPDATE: Tanya Lyell is being remembered as a young mother dedicated to her family and work as the town she called home mourns its loss.

Former Split Enz front man Tim Finn finds new niche

Singer Tim Finn has written the music for theatre production Ladies in Black.

Musician finds his way to theatre

10 things to do this weekend

Support the United Tradesmen's Lodge as they raise funds for Guide Dogs Queensland by Dining in the Dark

Check out what's happening around the region

Kindy celebrates golden years

Maisie, Isaac and Abigail from the C&K - Silkstone Baptist Community Kindergarten.

Don't miss cake cutting ceremony with Mayor Paul Pisasale

Azealia Banks won't take legal action against Russell Crowe

Rapper Azealia Banks

Rapper drops legal action against Russell Crowe

Brad Pitt meets with his kids amid divorce proceedings

Actor Brad Pitt

Brad Pitt has met up with his oldest son Maddox

Pictures of Taylor Swift allegedly being groped are sealed

They could "complicate jury selection".

Bruce Springsteen finds therapy useful

Singer Bruce Springsteen

Singer encourages others to seek help

Kerry Washington wants one more child

Kerry Washington recently gave birth to her second child

Kerry has only just become a new mum again

TRAVEL: Musicals light up Sydney

David Campbell performs in Dream Lover.

We take a trip through one of Sydney's finer scenes

Hit songwriter's Noosa mansion on market

SPECIAL PLACE: The Cintamani estate is going to tender, marketed by Tom Offermann Real Estate.

Is this Queensland's best property?

Kiwi siblings snap up Dotcom mansion for $32.5m

The new toy company owners of the Coatesville mansion want replace any controversy with positivity and fun. Photo / Barfoot and Thompson

The trio paid $32.5 million for the property in June

New $200 million development will create 580 jobs

Cassie And Josh with baby Alfie and daughter Andee. They have bought at new Lennox Head development Epiq.

Majority of new positions will be given to Northern Rivers locals

Cherrabah's mega resort plans axed

PLANS for a massive development at Cherrabah have been scrapped.

What our mayor thinks of the new draft SEQPlan

The plan to use the innovative technology as part of the new Maroochydore CBD was cemented on site today when Mayor Mark Jamieson and Envac Asia Region president Chun Yong Ha formally signed the contract for the $20 million underground waste collection system.

New plan accommodates Sunshine Coast Council's vision for growth.

Dusit Thani finance crisis 'just a small hiccup'

ON TRACK: Springfield Land Chairman, Maha Sinnathamby, Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale, Developer Richard Turner and Springfield Land Deputy Chairman, Bob Sharpless, at the recent resort sod turning ceremony.

Property developer says project remains firmly on track