Entertainment

Macpherson to explain why she blames former manager of leaks

Elle Macpherson.
Elle Macpherson. Bang ShowBiz

THE Australian supermodel Elle Macpherson is to be formally asked 11 key questions on phone hacking and what led her to conclude that her former manager, Mary Ellen Field, was the source of leaks published in the News of the World that revealed private details about her personal life.

Lawyers acting for Ms Field told the High Court on Sunday that the 49 year old model, also known as 'The Body", had been a "recalcitrant and reluctant" witness in their attempts to discover why she sacked Ms Field in 2006, blaming her for the leaks.

Ms Field was accused of having a drink problem by Ms Macpherson and was forced to attend a rehab clinic in Arizona, but was sacked when she returned to London.

Ms Macpherson, who divides her time between London and Australia, is expected to have supplied her out-of-court testimony by the first months of 2013.

Ms Field was one of the first wave of people to take legal action against the News of the World in 2011.

Her lawsuit has been heard separately from those who last year settled out-of-court with News International.

Her claim is also separate from the second tranche of victims whose claims are still progressing to a trial expected to be in the late spring of next year.

Michael Silverleaf QC, counsel for News International, on Sunday described Ms Field's case as a "fantasy".

NI are attempting to have the claim for damages struck out, with Mr Silverleaf repeatedly stating in court that although there was sympathy over what had happened to Ms Field in the way she had been treated by Ms Macpherson, there was "no evidence of her being a victim [of voicemail interception]" and the claim she had lodged was "fiction".

The judge, Mr Justice Vos, was heavily critical of the way Ms Field's counsel, Augustus Ullstein QC, had presented his case.

However despite protestations from NI, he  granted an adjournment of the request to strike out the legal action, and  gave Ms Field's legal team time to question Ms Macpherson.

The judge said Mr Ullstein now had  to "put your money where your mouth is" and obtain evidence that, if it exists, should already have been presented to the court.

Ms Field, 58, began working for the supermodel in 2003. But after two years of a close and successful business relationship, she was sacked and blamed for stories that started appearing in the NOTW.

In 2006 police investigating phone hacking told Ms Macpherson that her name appeared in evidence which later led to a criminal trial and the conviction of two people connected to the Murdoch-owned tabloid.

Ms Macpherson has remained silent on the matter since 2007 and claims that despite others receiving substantial compensation, she has not at any time sought nor received any settlement.

The Leveson Inquiry described Ms Field as "collateral damage" from phone hacking.

Mr Ullstein described Ms Macpherson as "a prime witness who has thus far declined to assist [Ms Field].

Among the answers the model will asked to supply, include details of the messages that were left on her voicemail which she  subsequently believed were hacked; what articles appeared in the NOTW that she believed contained information which could only have come from illegal voicemail interceptions; and whether or not she learned the identity of journalists alleged to have hacked into her messages.

The former Metropolitan Police detective, Jacqui Hames, yesterday accused David Cameron of planning " a cosy stitch-up" with newspapers owners and editors over its response to the Leveson Inquiry and future regulation of Britain's press.

Ms Hames, a victim of phone hacking by the News of the World, whose ex-husband,  a former Scotland Yard detective, was also  put under surveillance by the now-closed Murdoch  tabloid,  during a murder investigating, told a conference organised by the Hacked Off campaign, that "victims" of News International's wrong-doing were being "sidelined and ignored" in a "shady deal" with owners and editors.

The former Crimewatch presenter claimed that high profile victims of hacking and press intrusions, had decided to "relive some of their worst miseries" to Lord Justice Leveson so that others would not have to go through the same thing.

However the "deal" between Number 10 and the print industry, she said,  meant "all that will have been for nothing."

Topics:  editors picks, elle macpherson, news of the world, phone hacking, phone hacking scandal




Can you see why this bikini pic has gone viral?

What's so strange about these girls in bikinis?

Sex 'predator' hid upskirt footage in a sock

New Zealand national used videos to satisfy his sexual urges

Teen shares secret on how to get that job

19-year-old Kingslee Smith has secured a job at Rosewood Farm Supplies.

Kingslee gets his start through one simple thing

Latest deals and offers

Mum driver heroically ignores hilarious lip-syncing son

Hilarious moves while Mum concentrates on the road.

IF IT takes a village to raise a child, why aren't they driving?

Twitter adds dancing David Brent emoji

Ricky Gervais's character has its own emoji now

Cyndi Lauper opens up about mother's dementia

Cyndi Lauper says her mother Catrine has "a little dementia".

What's on this weekend

Join in the fun of the annual Park2Park races at Limestone Park on Sunday, and help the Ipswich Hospital Foundation raise money for youth mental health services.

Park2Park, Park Jam, the Sydney Comedy Festival and much more

Lindsay Lohan 'calls off engagement'

Lohan reportedly called off her engagement to Russian millionaire

Rob Kardashian 'neglected' by Blac Chyna

Friends say they are now 'back in love'

Australia Post to open at Orion

Australia Post.

Service to open to customers in late August

Town with 'unique country flair' will be ruined: resident

Jonathan Emms of Rosewood is concerned about a proposed townhouse development for this John Street block of land.

Residents concerned by high density development proposal

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb