JOHN Edwin Roberts (known as Don) and his brother George of Ipswich participated in the first Redex Round Australia Trial in 1953.
Don was a competitor in all three of the Redex Trials from 1953 to 1955 and he was the only competitor to compete all events in the same car, a Vanguard.
In 1955 with his brother George, Don won the Cairns-Darwin and the Darwin-Perth sections of this trial. Don Roberts was one of the sons of A.E. Roberts who had a motor trading business at the Fiveways, East Ipswich.
Later Don conducted his own motor business in lower Brisbane St.
He was a foundation member of the Veteran Car Club of Australia (Qld) for which he served as president for two years and also held office as a committee member throughout most of the club's 25 years existence and was honoured by being made a life member.
Don Roberts was a member and supporter of the Ipswich Veteran and Vintage Vehicle Club and served as its delegate on the Queensland Combined Council of Veteran Vintage and Classic Motor Clubs also as a member of the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain and the Horseless Carriage Club of America. He served his country in the Second World War in the Army Aircraft Recognition Section.
The first rally sprint competition of the year 1983 held at the Frawley Motorsport complex 5km north of Esk on February 26 was dedicated to the memory of this amazing Ipswichian Don Roberts.
PURGA'S RICH HISTORY
SOME news of the Purga area which appeared in earlier copies of The Queensland Times was:
In February 1871, a school at Purga Creek was nearing completion. It was situated on the Government Reserve near the home of Mr James Lucas and the contractor had been Messrs Jeffcoat and Sons of Ipswich.
Fossil bones found in 1891 on the property of Mr T.P. Horton at Hampstead (near Purga) were forwarded to the curator of the Brisbane Museum, Mr C.W. de Vis.
In his report, Mr de Vis stated that "the specimens comprise part of the foot bone of the extinct alligator Pallimachus polleus; also fragments of the hip bone of a smaller individual.
Reptile bones of the same age have been found on the Eight Mile Plains near Brisbane in basaltic clay.
There was a mine situated in Mr Spellman's paddock at Purga in June 1892 and the proprietor was Mr John Wright.
The coal carried to the Purga Railway station was said to be very suitable for gas.
This seam of coal appeared to run through Fairview Farm and as a fair amount of coal was being obtained, it was thought necessary to have a railway siding erected.
With this in mind, Messrs A. Johnston Railway Commissioner, H. Horniblow locomotive engineer and J. Holdsworth District Traffic Manager, inspected the site and it was found the siding would become a reality.
In January 1911, Mr J.V. Francis, butcher of Ipswich, was proposing to establish a meatworks on the site of his slaughter yards near Berry's Lagoon in the Purga district.
Mr Francis intended incorporating both tanning and canning sections in the new building.
Mr M. Bognuda was on February 6, 1913 elected to the position of chairman of the Purga Shire Council. Mr Bognuda had been born in a tent at Pigeon Gully, Bendigo, Victoria at the time of the 1863 gold rush.
When he finished his school days, he went to work at Epsom Potteries where he learned his trade as a potter.
In 1886, he accepted a position in company with Mr Eugene Kelly to manage jointly the Dinmore Brick and Tile Works.
Two years later, Mr Bognuda in company with Messrs Joseph and George Hudson began the brick, tile and pottery works at Dinmore.
AUSTRALIA Day is the day set aside to commemorate the arrival of Captain Arthur Phillips and the First Fleet at Sydney Cove on January 26, 1788.
On that day, Captain Phillip proclaimed the area which later became New South Wales to be a British possession.
It is thought that January 26 as Australia Day was first celebrated by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in 1838.
After Federation, it was proclaimed a national day but it wasn't until 1931 that the day became known nationally as Australia Day.