YARRAMAN Police sergeant Damien Houston said the Lamb family house fire was not being treated as suspicious, but initial investigations revealed it started from an unattended candle.
Sgt Houston said the Lamb's nine-year-old daughter raised the alarm when the fire started about 9am last Sunday.
"She became aware and woke up her siblings and parents," Sgt Houston said.
Sgt Houston said it was thought an unattended candle set fire to the curtain which then blocked the front entrance of the rental home.
"This is a timely reminder not to leave candles unattended," he said.
Sgt Houston said the home did have smoke detectors, but the nine-year-old discovered the fire before the smoke detectors were activated.
During the week community support has grown for the seven-member family who lost all the possessions they owned.
On Monday Toowoomba Mayor Paul Antonio donated $100 to an account being set up by the Yarraman/Blackbutt Bendigo Community Bank.