A SEVERE thunderstorm warning for damaging wind and large hailstone was issued by the Bureau of Meteorology on Thursday at 5.10pm for parts of Queensland.
People in the Darling Downs and Granite Belt as well as parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Capricornia, Wide Bay and Burnett, Maranoa and Warrego and Southeast Coast Forecast Districts should take proper precautions.
Locations which may be affected include Warwick, Toowoomba, Dalby, Roma, Kingaroy, Stanthorpe and Goondiwindi.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by the Bureau of Meteorology at 8:10 pm on January 10, 2013.