News

Family First to censor sexy billboards

The controversial Sexpo billboard on Brisbane Street at Dinmore.
The controversial Sexpo billboard on Brisbane Street at Dinmore.

A QUEENSLAND senate candidate says she will run to ban risque billboards like the controversial Sexpo advertisement that caused controversy in Ipswich earlier this year.

Family First senate candidate Wendy Francis said she would use billboards in Ipswich from the end of this month to push her “Let’s make outdoor advertising G-rated” campaign slogan.

The Family First party could potentially take up the billboard where the Sexpo sign was erected in February this year, only to be torn down from its Dinmore location days later due to community backlash.

She said Family First and the majority of the community were sick of sexualised advertisements being seen by children on billboards.

“Our children deserve better; as adults it is our responsibility to provide a protecting and nurturing environment,” she said.

“I think some of the billboards out there wouldn’t be allowed on television before 9pm because they are too over-the-top sexually.”

She said because the Advertising Standards Bureau (ASB) was a self-regulatory industry body, it did not do enough to make sure billboards were censored to community standards.

The senate candidate said GOA Billboards refused to carry her G-rated slogan advertisement, but said she was in talks with other companies.

Ms Francis said she had not yet contacted Bishopp Outdoor Advertising, the owner of the Dinmore site that previously hosted the Sexpo billboard, but said she would like the location.

Bishopp managing director Brad Bishopp said they were open to potentially hosting the billboard.

“We’d have a look at any proposed advertisement and judge it on its merits from there,” he said.

GOA joint managing director Chris Tyquin said his group rejected Ms Francis’ proposed advertisement because it lacked detail.

Read more ...

Sexpo billboard too hot to handle




Join the Community.

Get your local news, your way.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Teen suffers burns after cigarette lighter explodes

A teen was taken to Ipswich Hospital with burns from an exploding cigarette lighter.

TEEN suffers burns after cigarette lighter explodes

Butcher seriously hurt in work accident

A woman has given birth to twins at a Nambour home overnight, with the babies arriving before paramedics could get there.

Man taken to PA Hospital with severe wound to chest

Residents want answers about big stink at Swanbank

Swanbank resident Joe Llewellyn is angry about the odour that comes from the local industry surrounding his home.

But Remondis insists they are not to blame at all

Latest deals and offers

Darryl Johnson

Police District Superintendent Darryl Johnson

The Sunshine Coast’s top cop Darryl Johnson says we have nothing to fear from the...

Rebels’ member Mick Kosenko

Thumbnail Rebels member at Parliament House

Rebels’ member Mick Kosenko says bikies helped get the government elected and now...

Murder suspect in custody

Ipswich Police detectives escort Rosewood murder suspect from the Yamanto Police Station to the Ipswich Watchhouse. Photo: David Nielsen / The Queensland Times

Ipswich Police detectives escort Rosewood murder suspect from the Yamanto Police...

Commercial Property March 30 edition

Check out the latest commercial real estate opportunities

Buyers don't see Fairways estate as a long drive

Expanding city limits a boon for Hatton Vale golf course community

Is NZ just part of the Aussie housing market?

New research shows how closely the property markets in Australian and New Zealand cities may be linked.

Two countries, 16 cities - but only one housing market?