News

Kidnap victim 'holds no hope at all for being released'

CONFIRMATION a former Australian soldier kidnapped by militants in the Philippines is still alive has been met with a cautious response from government officials.

Warren Richard Rodwell was taken hostage by six gunmen with links to Al-Qaeda in southern Zamboanga Sibugay province on December 5 last year.

Video footage of Mr Rodwell holding a newspaper dated December 15, 2012, was uploaded to YouTube this week as proof he was still alive.

In the video Mr Rodwell said he did not trust his captors or the Australian Government and held "no hope at all for being released".

The ransom being demanded from Mr Rodwell's family is $US23,000.

Mr Rodwell pleaded with his family to do everything they could to come up with the money.

Foreign Minister Bob Carr welcomed the news Mr Rodwell was still alive but told reporters on Thursday the fact that he had not been released after more than 12 months was a "major concern".

He said the government was in regular contact with Mr Rodwell's family but would not comment further as "it would not be helpful".

Topics:  hostage, philippines




Woolworths to sack 500 staff, close at least 17 stores

This is despite the supermarket earning $2.5 billion for the year.

WATCH: Police hunt gunman as shots fired in quiet street

One of the shots shattered the windscreen of a gold coloured Holden Commodore that was parked in the driveway, while another pierced the garage door.

Police are investigating after shots fired into a car and garage

Woolworths latest: Uncertainty hangs over Ipswich site

NSW and Victoria to be hit by retrenchments

Latest deals and offers

Licking incident bars Ariana from performing at White House

Ariana Grande has been blocked from performing at the White House

Taylor Swift's ex throws support behind Kanye West

Calvin Harris shares a sing-along with Kanye West

Michael Jackson's jailed doctor wants his license back

Conrad Murray wants his medical licence back.

Pokemon Go: "Trading" on the horizon as game evolves

No Caption

Pokemon GO players will soon be able to trade with other trainers

Bindi Irwin: ‘I’ve lived 10 lives in one lifetime’

Bindi meets her fans.

SHE'S just turns 18 but Bindi's life has been full of experiences

Rockhampton cook through to MasterChef semi-final

FAMILY:MasterChef semi-finalist Harry Foster pictured with his mum Ria McClelland.

Harry Foster through to MasterChef semi-finals.

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles